Another AyUp Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What is the difference between the batteries ... Mr Summerday's battery is about 18 months old I think (can't remember exactly when the scrotes stole the previous one), but just this morning he was talking about putting another light on his bike so he had a flashing one... so it could be a possible Christmas present.

Mr Summerdays' looks like a epic (6 hours full beam?). We have two half epics and one epic between two of us, but we very rarely use the epic (if indeed at all). If he's only after a flashing, then a half epic would last at least as long (on flashing) as a full epic would on full beam; it's lighter and smaller too. They charge off the same charger.

Funnily enough you can buy yourself one of the new boxes for £10!

I was toying with the idea of a spare battery. The 2010 half epic are £40.50, so quite pricey if they also charge £7 delivery. The full epic is £54.50 (which is bigger so would also require a new large pouch and large strap).

I wouldn't worry unless you're going to be in a 24 hour race or something - so long as you remember to charge the AyUp. I charge mine weekly, try to get in the habit.... How long are your rides normally? Although, having said that, I ride with the light on half beam most often, and the half epic lasts all week on that setup - if I was riding with full beam it would probably get a bit more complicated. A cheaper option would be to buy another charger - one for work and one for home - so if you get to work you can charge the battery if you hadn't remembered to do it at home?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
He charges it once a week and does a 35 minute commute each way without worrying about it running out - so yes about 6 hours probably.

I have the 6 hour battery which would probably do two there-and-back commutes but i charge it after one just to be sure.
I do remember once accidentally leaving it on in the morning and noticing it wasstill on at 3pm so it had been on for nearly 8 hours.

Ranger

I really like the new box! Mine came in a neoprene roll.

Might get myself one of the new 'flashing' batteries at some point now they're in the UK - fancy the ability to switch between steady & flashing depending on the situation.

I would caution that the Ayup flash pattern is slow (very) and I don't use it at all as it gives a definite on/off pattern. My worry is someone will glance across whilst it is 'off' and not see me!

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I would caution that the Ayup flash pattern is slow (very) and I don't use it at all as it gives a definite on/off pattern. My worry is someone will glance across whilst it is 'off' and not see me!

Thanks for the heads-up - I won't bother then. I'll maybe look for a cheaper flashing front light that I can use in addition to the Ay-Ups.

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Thanks for the heads-up - I won't bother then. I'll maybe look for a cheaper flashing front light that I can use in addition to the Ay-Ups.

Yes, I think that would be the way to go, the flashing is very slow on it. I have a cheapish light that flashes, I keep forgetting to use it though. Too much clutter on my bars, so long as I have two rear lights, with one that flashes I'm not that bothered about the front.

Must say the AyUps are bloody good lights, I keep trying to find excuses to go out cycling at night now!

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
He charges it once a week and does a 35 minute commute each way without worrying about it running out - so yes about 6 hours probably.

That ties in with my experience - once-a-week charging does me 4 days of 1hr - 1hr 10m round-trip commutes with plenty of spare juice left.

Top Bottom