Another (better) cycling video

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
You definitely like to filter bonj.I must admit,i dont think i would have the bottle for some of the widths you seem to be squeezing through,and at some speed too.

domtyler

Über Member
Not much to say about that really, I take it you are on some kind of mountain bike judging by the lack of pace? Even that coach accelerated much faster than you. Some half decent filtering, nothing wrong there. At the beginning you failed to claim your lane and were cut up about three times within a minute.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

domtyler said:
Not much to say about that really, I take it you are on some kind of mountain bike judging by the lack of pace? Even that coach accelerated much faster than you.
I'd ask you at what point in the vid you mean and explain the situation but I'm not going to even bother 'cos you're only having a nark.

domtyler

Über Member
bonj said:
I'd ask you at what point in the vid you mean and explain the situation but I'm not going to even bother 'cos you're only having a nark.

The big white National Express coach left you for dead about half way through.
Yeah, I may be having a nark, but if you watch Jacomusridesgen's video you will see what I mean. You are definitely not quick. Not that that is necessarily a bad thing, just surprised me that's all.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

domtyler said:
The big white National Express coach left you for dead about half way through.
Yeah, I may be having a nark, but if you watch Jacomusridesgen's video you will see what I mean. You are definitely not quick. Not that that is necessarily a bad thing, just surprised me that's all.

oh for god's sake! I don't know why i'm even bothering to grace you with a reply, but if you notice, I catch it up when it's having to wait at the lights, and the lights change just at the point where I've finished scooting round the car to the coach's right (you can't tell that, but they do). Then I set off ahead of it. Then does it catch me up and overtake me back again? No. So who's faster, me or the coach? Me.
What makes you think I don't know the phases of the traffic lights well enough such that I would even bother going hell for leather to stay behind it only to have to wait at the traffic lights again? These are traffic lights that you can't safely jump, so it makes sense to arrive at them just as they're changing.

Maz

Guru
For a minute, I thought this was your commute, then i realised you went past midland station, then turned round via shoreham street and passed it again.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Maz said:
For a minute, I thought this was your commute, then i realised you went past midland station, then turned round via shoreham street and passed it again.

yes that would be pointless for a commute :ohmy:

I just went out for a ride to use the camera

OP
OP
B

bonj2

magnatom said:
...and I am sure you went on the path at the start just to get a reaction :ohmy:

I went on the path because it's a quicker way of getting to the bottom end of corporation street...and because there's no valid safety reason not to. It's a good job I did because if I hadn't the video would have been over 10 minutes long, and I would have had to edit out more than just waiting at traffic lights in order to get it inside the limit.

Can you see now why I didn't want to spend my own money and buy a helmet camera?

bonj said:
I went on the path because it's a quicker way of getting to the bottom end of corporation street...and because there's no valid safety reason not to. It's a good job I did because if I hadn't the video would have been over 10 minutes long, and I would have had to edit out more than just waiting at traffic lights in order to get it inside the limit.

Can you see now why I didn't want to spend my own money and buy a helmet camera?

I will resist the temptation to enter into another discussion about the problems of pavement cycling.
I will resist the temptation to enter into another discussion about the problems of pavement cycling.

Ahhh. That feels better.:ohmy:

OP
OP
B

bonj2

The need to have a discussion about pavement cycling can be removed by lumping it together in exactly the same category as RLJing - they're both technically illegal, but usually safe if done considerately and carefully. Some people believe the former means they're not ok, some people believe the latter mean they are ok. I guess which camp you fall into depends on whether you feel the law needs to be upheld at all costs for no other reason than the sake of it. Some do, some don't. I personally don't. However I have no problem with people who do, as long as they don't try to police me.

classic33

Leg End Member
bonj said:
The need to have a discussion about pavement cycling can be removed by lumping it together in exactly the same category as RLJing - they're both technically illegal, but usually safe if done considerately and carefully. Some people believe the former means they're not ok, some people believe the latter mean they are ok. I guess which camp you fall into depends on whether you feel the law needs to be upheld at all costs for no other reason than the sake of it. Some do, some don't. I personally don't. However I have no problem with people who do, as long as they don't try to police me.

Safe in who's eyes.

If you want to use the footpath use your feet.
From what your saying you'll be happy to break the law, provided you are neither questioned for doing so or caught.

Remind yourself of this little fact. Pedal cycles are legally classed as road vehicles.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

classic33 said:
Safe in who's eyes.
'in whose eyes' is nonsensical - as it implies safety is a matter of opinion. It's not. It's safe if there's minimal risk of anyone getting injured. If I ever cycle on the pavement, I make sure there is no risk of anyone getting injured. Therefore it's safe. It's not a case of "it's my opinion that it's safe but you might have a different opinion so therefore I shouldn't do it", it's a case of "no-one is at risk of getting injured, therefore it's safe. Fact." End of.

classic33 said:
If you want to use the footpath use your feet.
I do, what other part of my body do you think I use to propel the pedals round?

classic33 said:
From what your saying you'll be happy to break the law, provided you are neither questioned for doing so or caught.
No, I'm saying I'll be happy to break the law, provided I am neither questionned for doing so or caught and no-one is inconvenienced or put at risk.

classic33 said:
Remind yourself of this little fact. Pedal cycles are legally classed as road vehicles.

Remind yourself of this little fact. It's legal for an englishman to shoot a welshman riding a horse over the border from wales into england on a friday afternoon as long as he is standing on the walls of a castle and is wearing the queen's coat of arms. :rolleyes: Now ask yourself how relevant you think it is.
Now go 'n' whistle.

Top Bottom