Another (better) cycling video

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Its legal to shoot a Scotsman upon site, with bow & arrow, upon sight in York. Its also legal to shoot, with bow & arrow, a Welshman upon sight within the city walls of Chester, after midnight.
How are they relavent to your defence of cycling on the pavement.

As you say your happy to break the law. Now the fact that you are being questioned for doing so seems to irk you a little.

Note:
If you are committing an offence & aware that you are doing so, but fail to do anything to rectify it, you commit a further offence.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

classic33 said:
Its legal to shoot a Scotsman upon site, with bow & arrow, upon sight in York. Its also legal to shoot, with bow & arrow, a Welshman upon sight within the city walls of Chester, after midnight.
How are they relavent to your defence of cycling on the pavement.
yadda yadda yadda, yeah yeah yeah :rolleyes:
it's an analogy that illustrates that sometimes, laws need to be overlooked.

I think if you DID shoot a scotsman in york, then you'd probably be arrested, tried and probably imprisoned. The law would be overlooked.
I think if a police officer saw me cycling on the pavement in safety and with consideration for any pedestrians, then I doubt they'd do anything about it. The law would be overlooked.

classic33 said:
As you say your happy to break the law. Now the fact that you are being questioned for doing so seems to irk you a little.
The line of questionning is too weak though.
Let me just ask you a question. In regards to my cycling on the pavement. Who loses? Which members of society are put at a disadvantage?
classic33 said:
Note:
If you are committing an offence & aware that you are doing so, but fail to do anything to rectify it, you commit a further offence.

Oh right! So if you commit an offence, then it's only one single offence as long as you didn't know it was an offence? So if I rob a bank, and mid way through as they're just putting the money in the bag I continue with the robbery knowing it to be an offence, I've at that point moved onto my second offence?!
I've never heard that one before...

If I break the speed limit in a vehicle for 3 minutes, have I committed more or less offences than if I break it for 1 minute?

classic33

Leg End Member
Your choice of transport is legally classed as a road vehicle, not a pavement vehicle.
Chances are if you were stopped by the police for cycling on the pavement you'd, at best, receive a "telling off" & made to dismount. To start peddling off having been told to dismount I don't think they'd let you off with a telling off.

Like you said, your happy to break the law(so long as its in your intersts).

The type of rider that gets someone else hurt.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

classic33 said:
Your choice of transport is legally classed as a road vehicle, not a pavement vehicle.
Chances are if you were stopped by the police for cycling on the pavement you'd, at best, receive a "telling off" & made to dismount. To start peddling off having been told to dismount I don't think they'd let you off with a telling off.

classic33 said:
Like you said, your happy to break the law(so long as its in your intersts).
Incorrect. I break the law so long as it's in my interests and the interests of anyone else it may affect. Where we differ on this is that you exactly equate safety and legality, you seem to think they are completely and utterly synonymous. I do not share this viewpoint. Safety and legality largely overlap, but I believe there are things which are safe but not legal, and things which are legal but not safe. I define my behaviour largely on what's safe, rather than strictly on what's safe AND legal.

classic33 said:
The type of rider that gets someone else hurt.
See above.

bianco

I'm agreeing with bonj, after knowing where this is and the roadworks around it's a deathtrap not using the pavement!

Fair play to the guy, there are no other problems with the vid and his road positioning.

Top Bottom