Another Bike - yes or no?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
If you plan to rie on dodgy roads mid winter wider tyres and discs do help, although i did that bad winter what 8-10 years ago when it was sub - 10 c on a roadie with 23 mm slicks because it was all i had at the time and survived.

Nebulous

Guru
Doing that speed on a push bike is pure insanity. Have you ever considered how bad an "off" you could have if something unexpected happens?

I think I'm an adrenaline addict. It was an ambition of mine for a long time to break 50mph. I made 49.9 here. That corner is sharper than it looks and braking down for it was 'interesting.' I couldn't look at my garmin, as I was concentrating on staying alive, but was convinced I'd done it. I got home, downloaded the data and found 49.9.

This thread has got me wondering. Do I have too many bikes?

I've a carbon bike for 'best' bike. A steel bike, which does most miles, bought as an audax bike, with guards and discs. An aluminium cross bike, with flat pedals, rack, mechanical discs and guards for commuting. To be honest I could probably lose the carbon, which is currently languishing on the turbo. I don't really like the cross bike, though it is quite workmanlike and less likely to get stolen. It is sometimes left at client's premises for work purposes. Our bikeshed at work is very safe.

Selling the carbon and the cross could buy a good commuter / winter bike. My equilibrium could do everything else.

vickster

Legendary Member
I think I'm an adrenaline addict. It was an ambition of mine for a long time to break 50mph. I made 49.9 here. That corner is sharper than it looks and braking down for it was 'interesting.' I couldn't look at my garmin, as I was concentrating on staying alive, but was convinced I'd done it. I got home, downloaded the data and found 49.9.

I've a carbon bike for 'best' bike. A steel bike, which does most miles, bought as an audax bike, with guards and discs. An aluminium cross bike, with flat pedals, rack, mechanical discs and guards for commuting. To be honest I could probably lose the carbon, which is currently languishing on the turbo. I don't really like the cross bike, though it is quite workmanlike and less likely to get stolen. It is sometimes left at client's premises for work purposes. Our bikeshed at work is very safe.

Selling the carbon and the cross could buy a good commuter / winter bike. My equilibrium could do everything else.
Sounds like my fleet although my best bike is #5, titanium, discs. I ride the carbon least (my oldest bike, will use on turbo for knee op rehab)
I also have a SS, which a friend is using currently

Drago

Legendary Member
To answer the original question, I commuted for 4 years, all weathers, 80/20 country/urban roads, with a bike shod on 25's. Asisde for snow, when I'd deploy the MTB, the 25's were absolutely fine. no reason at all why you can't commute comfortably on them.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer

I've a carbon bike for 'best' bike. A steel bike, which does most miles, bought as an audax bike, with guards and discs. An aluminium cross bike, with flat pedals, rack, mechanical discs and guards for commuting. To be honest I could probably lose the carbon, which is currently languishing on the turbo. I don't really like the cross bike, though it is quite workmanlike and less likely to get stolen..

I've got more bikes than you, although all mine are steel and mostly classic lugged & brazed frames. I don't like either carbon or aluminium frames. The more bikes the better in my book, it gives you the choice of taking out the most suitable one for the job and minimising theft risk if you have at least one cheap one available for use in dodgy places. Also means if one has a mechanical fault, or you discover the tyre is flat when you next go use it, you can simply take a different one instead and fix the problem later with no time pressure and without making yourself late. I wouldn't want to have to rely on just one bike if I was commuting on it, I would want at least one spare available and ready to ride at all times.

FishFright

More wheels than sense

You're not even close to having too many bikes ! I have 9 and 2 recumbent trikes and consider that to be not nearly enough

Alan O

Über Member
I'm from an era when we had bikes that were made from things that didn't dissolve in the rain or break when it got a bit cold, and the marketing concept of "winter bike" hadn't been invented.

But yes, get another bike - any excuse will do :okay:

D

Deleted member 22722

I'd stick with the Defy for the winter rather than spending on another bike. However I would say, ditch the Gatorskins since these have quite a hard compound and in the cold & wet can be very skittish. I ran them for the added puncture protection when I first started cycling but had quite a few 'moments' with them. It wasn't until I experimented with different rubber that I really appreciated how much difference it can make.

Other than on my Summer rides I now run Continental GP4Seasons. Much grippier than Gatorskins and just as puncture resistant in my opinion. I'd also go up to 28's, which the Defy will happily accommodate.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ahhh, Blackstone Edge.
Barely recognisable without the fog :laugh:

(it's the crosswind at the bottom of that first descent I don't like)
Yes, it can get very foggy up there and there have been fatalities at the junction of the A58 with the B6138.

I went up the Cragg Vale climb with a mate once and we entered a fog bank up by Blackstone Edge reservoir. I turned to warn him about the dangers of the junction in fog ...

"Watch out at the junction because there have been lots of ..."

SCRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECH, BANG, BANG ... SILENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

"... accidents in fog!"

A 3-car pile-up at the junction! We stopped to check that all the drivers were ok. They were so we left them phoning for breakdown trucks and went on our way.

There is often a cross/headwind from the left towards the bottom of the steeper part of the descent. It isn't too bad when it is steady, but it can be scary if it is gusting! I had the wind vanish for 30 seconds once and then gust back at full force, which was certainly different and quite 'interesting'!

nickAKA

Über Member
Yes, it can get very foggy up there and there have been fatalities at the junction of the A58 with the B6138.

I went up the Cragg Vale climb with a mate once and we entered a fog bank up by Blackstone Edge reservoir. I turned to warn him about the dangers of the junction in fog ...

"Watch out at the junction because there have been lots of ..."

SCRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECH, BANG, BANG ... SILENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

"... accidents in fog!"

A 3-car pile-up at the junction! We stopped to check that all the drivers were ok. They were so we left them phoning for breakdown trucks and went on our way.

There is often a cross/headwind from the left towards the bottom of the steeper part of the descent. It isn't too bad when it is steady, but it can be scary if it is gusting! I had the wind vanish for 30 seconds once and then gust back at full force, which was certainly different and quite 'interesting'!

Yup, that bend at the bottom convinced me not to go for (show-off) deep aero rims having watched mates wobbling about in the gusts... plus there's a weird camber / seam in the road as you head toward the Moorcock that has nearly caught me out at speed! Keeps you on your toes at least...

Ajax Bay

Guru
I would say, ditch the Gatorskins since these have quite a hard compound and in the cold & wet can be very skittish. I ran them for the added puncture protection when I first started cycling but had quite a few 'moments' with them. It wasn't until I experimented with different rubber that I really appreciated how much difference it can make. Other than on my Summer rides I now run Continental GP4Seasons. Much grippier than Gatorskins and just as puncture resistant in my opinion.
https://www.bicyclerollingresistanc...-2014-vs-continental-grand-prix-4-season-2015
GP4S have marginally less tread puncture protection (17 v 18) but the Gatorskin is weaker in all other respects, including (iyswim) price. One can regularly buy GP4S for £30 and Gatorskins can be yours for £22.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I got bored of wearing out rims every winter on my Defy 2 & went for a disc braked bike.

So, n+1 would be my vote too.

Top Bottom