Another C2C inquiry for 2022.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I and a friend cycled from Whitehaven to Tynemouth a few years back over three days which was quite an easy pace.
One recomendation would be a stop at the Allenheads Inn for an overnight stop. Great Ale and great food.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I have read a few reports on C2C and most of them recommended using a hybrid or MB as a few cycle tracks are not really for road bikes.
We will be using road bikes ( Trek Domane for me ) as I don't have a hybrid and don't really want one as I can't get on with straight handlebars.
So , should we stick to tarmac roads all the way or risk the cycle tracks and take plenty of spare tubes?

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
I have read a few reports on C2C and most of them recommended using a hybrid or MB as a few cycle tracks are not really for road bikes.
We will be using road bikes ( Trek Domane for me ) as I don't have a hybrid and don't really want one as I can't get on with straight handlebars.
So , should we stick to tarmac roads all the way or risk the cycle tracks and take plenty of spare tubes?
This sounds like the perfect excuse to buy a Gravel bike .^_^.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
It's 20+ years since I rode it but the only section I can recall without tarmac was the Waskerley Way. I rode on a hybrid* and it worked out very well.

* Marin San Rafael

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
We will be using road bikes ( Trek Domane for me ) ...

I've done it twice, both times on a road bike.

There's only on section I'd suggest using the road rather than the route, which is early on before Keswick for about 2 miles. Otherwise it's fine.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I've done C2C from Whitehaven to Sunderland once & the WOTR 3 times. Personally I prefer the WOTR & if you do it from West to East, by midway, you have done approx 90% of the climbing, so you get an easier finish :okay: The only part of the route I'm not over keen on is going through the centre of York, so my last 2 rides I have avoided York centre. Its too busy for my liking & the path alongside the river can be crowded with walkers depending on weather/time of year

iluvmybike

Über Member
What about the Reivers Route from Whitehaven to Tynemouth. Much quieter than the popular C2C or WOR. Goes through scneic parts of Northumblerand, Kielder Forest and quiet north and West Cumbria taking in Carlisle and Cockermouth - 170 miles

T4tomo

Legendary Member
a few alternatives....
1638970071208.png

Way of the Roses is a cracking route. Have done it a few times now, twice west to east, and once t'other way.
A few climbs, in particular out of Pateley Bridge (in either direction) but nothing too drastic. I managed it, so it can't be that bad.
fitter than me if you count the pately bridge climb as "nothing too drastic".
I was going west and definitely struggled.

geocycle

Legendary Member
East bound, up Greenhow hill is longer and not as steep. Also has a convenient cafe at stump cross caverns. The descent into PB is character building.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
At the moment we seem to favour Whitehaven to Whitby over 3 or 4 days.
Drive to Penrith the night before to a B&B and off to Whitehaven the following morning to start the C2C back to Penrith for the first night of the ride.
This is as far as we have planned so far. Ideally, we would like to cover about 40 miles each day.
June is our preferred time as the weather should be reasonable then.
I am planning to use my Specialized Roubaix Elite as it is the lightest of my bikes.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
At the moment we seem to favour Whitehaven to Whitby over 3 or 4 days.
Drive to Penrith the night before to a B&B and off to Whitehaven the following morning to start the C2C back to Penrith for the first night of the ride.
This is as far as we have planned so far. Ideally, we would like to cover about 40 miles each day.
June is our preferred time as the weather should be reasonable then.
I am planning to use my Specialized Roubaix Elite as it is the lightest of my bikes.

Have you sorted a route after Penrith?

Appleby, Barnard Castle, Stokesley and over the North York Moors looks a possibility.

The mid part of a coast to coast is always hilly, but this looks to be hilly all the way,

Not so many minor roads from Appleby onwards, so you might want to do careful route planning for that section, although you could pick up the W2W at Barny.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
No other C2C to compare it to but did WOTR last year and would definitely recommend if you dont mind a few hills. We managed to get most of them out of the way on the first day which was a killer and a very long first day with the train journey to Morcambe. This however, made the next 2 days more enjoyable in terms of achievement with achey legs and bums and made it more social, being able to talk whilst also having the luxury of being able to breathe ^_^.
Did it over 3 days but met lots doing it in less and more.
Very low vehicle traffic, very well signposted, used my garmin maps but would have been comfortable without and very good scenery. Did it in June like you're planning and weather was perfect.
Don't overpack, my mate took far more than he needed and regretted it however I do consider myself minimalist in terms of things I 'need'.
Pic of the bike packed the night before for reference.
Good thread as we are planning another one this year and cant decide which route to go
20210627_211654.jpg

videoman

Guru
Plans for this year include WOTR, C2C, Hadrians Cycleway and Reivers Route after being severely curtailed over the last two years as time is passing me by!

Top Bottom