Another chainset query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
I have a few bikes; one has a 52/42 chainset, another has a 52/48 chainset (because of this, I rarely ride it) and yet another has a compact 50/34 chainset.

Cos I live in a hilly area (foothills of Berwyn Mountains), I hardly ever use the larger chainrings on any of the bikes. On steep hills, I 'coast' down and only on gradual downhills, I might use the outer chainrings. The compact is great for going up, but I tend to 'stick' with the 34 ring in all circumstances, rather than use the 50 ring. I cycle only occasionally, so I'm not as fit as most on this site.

Is it possible to get a chainset something in the region of 46/34 ? I feel that would be a combination which would enable me to use the large chainring. By nature, I'm more a 'spinner' than a 'grinder'. I don't require a triple, as I don't really need anything lower than 34.

I'd be very grateful for any advice/information - especially just where I could buy such a chainset.

pubrunner

Totally off-topic, I was wondering just who has the most postings on this site ?

Pottsy

Well you can change an individual chainring to (almost) what you want. You have to be careful of the distance of the fitting bolts from the chainring centre (BCD?) for compatibility, perhaps frame clearance for the inside ring and also front mech operation - someone else will come along and clarify these bits I'm sure.

The 52/48 sounds very perculiar, are you sure?

As an example I changed my 50/34 to a 50/36 just to get the jump between chainrings a bit closer. I'm considering now possibly 50/38. With a 12-25 on the back it just about gives me a low enough gear with an easier to use set up. I find 50 about right on the top ring for flat and descent riding. Depends where you live and ride and fitness too of course.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
I use a (pre-compact drive) Shimano Exage MTB chainset on my road bike. This has 24/36/46 chainrings. If you could get hold of something similar (110mm BCD) you could ditch the granny ring. Should let you run a smaller chainring somewhere in the range of 33-38T and an outer between 46-52T.

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Pottsy said:
The 52/48 sounds very peculiar, are you sure?

Yes, it is peculiar. The chainset only has 3 bolts (each 9cm apart) - I've never seen another like it.

The chainset has the letters 'maxy' upon it and on the inside of the crank are the numbers 171 then a slight gap then 41-5. The 'plate' on the front of the crankshaft says Sugino or Subino (I think) Japan. I've never heard of this make and fully expect to be told it is a right pile of youknowwhat.

Where I live, it is very hard work, even using the inner chainring - hence my reason to get a new chainset.

Sugino Maxy! Very Olde Schoole (52/48 is Ye Olde Schoole too). You wont find rings for it mind.

Landslide's idea of an MTB 110 bcd chainset without the granny is probably the way to go. You might even get away with the existing BB. All modern chainsets are 'low profile' and require a shorter BB axle.

jimboalee

The Sugino Maxy was a copy of Stronglight's TS three leg spider chainset.

Rings for these are rocking horse shoot now.

52/48 was a timetrial pairing.

Top Bottom