Another cheap bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidphilips

Veteran
Dont know if its worth the time and expense to fix up but had to buy this old Dawes when it went up for sale very close to me and very cheap.

Know its a cheap model with old steel rims etc but liked the old head badge and fake chrome lugs.

Bearings in bottom bracket, pedals and wheels all need looked at plus tyres dont stay up and need replaced.

Attachments

• 100_8724[1].JPG
    100_8724[1].JPG
    301.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 100_8725[1].JPG
    100_8725[1].JPG
    253.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 100_8726[1].JPG
    100_8726[1].JPG
    166 KB · Views: 54
  • 100_8727[1].JPG
    100_8727[1].JPG
    312.9 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

wisdom

Guru
Seems worth a sympathetic refurb to me.
You can get replacement wheels with alloy rims.It all depends how far you want to go in reality.

Plenty of miles left in those tyres. Perhaps new inner tubes . The paintwork would look a lot better with a wash and polish .
It looks like you have got a bargain . It looks like a 21 or 22 inch frame ?
I think they went through 3 types of head badge design . That one is very ornate and very nice .
It looks very nice. You should have fun cleaning it up and will be proud of it when you have finished .

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Even got those huge Ever Ready lights with the D type batteries.

midlife

Guru
A miracle the front one is still there! Used to bounce off the lamp holder and clatter down the road. Another use for a Christophe toe clip strap lol

OP
OP
davidphilips

davidphilips

Veteran
Just a quick update,(and thanks for all the replies guys) replaced the back wheel saddle and bearings in bottom bracket, plus a bit of adjustment etc goes well, still dont know its future?

Would anyone know its age? Seller advertised it as a 50s bike and the stem looks about that age ( https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/sold-dawes-racing-bicycle-vintage-est.-1950-s/1308217174 ) dont know if this link will work as add has been removed? any way if its really old i will keep and do very little else to it if not then i may paint it?

Thanks again for both replies interest and views.

Forgot to say, had it out for a cycle today and was told by a friend ( perhaps friend is to strong a word) its only fit for a skip, i really hate to see a bike scraped and would rather loose money fixing up a bike even if i lost money on it than see a bike scraped especially if this one turned out to be from the 50s.

Attachments

• 100_8728[1].JPG
    100_8728[1].JPG
    208.6 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Top Bottom