Another compact/triple thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

km991148

Hi,
After asking about 1st road bike on another thread, I have now been out and tried some (not a bad idea.. :sad: )
I am still keen on the peloton, decent enough spec and shop seem good service wise. still havent got on a spec allez elite, which I plan on trying this weekend;

However when I started on this I figured a compact would be what I am after, but the peloton only comes with a tripple (50x39x30) on a 12-25 cassette - after a quick spin it seems alright (but only round a carpark) - I doubt id be on the granny ring much and dont want to loose out on the flat.

Are the advantages of the compact that great (dont think weight would make a difference but with crosschaining issues) or is the difference negliagable unless racing etc..

been on Sheldons calculator site comparing with my heavy hybrid (which has 8 speed 11-32 on the back)

would it be advisable to try and get an 11 tooth on the rear to go with the 50x39x30?

thanks in advance;
km

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
km991148 said:
would it be advisable to try and get an 11 tooth on the rear to go with the 50x39x30?
Assuming that you are not going to be racing, why bother?

50/12 is already a pretty big gear ratio. That's 4.17:1. The highest gear that I have on my Basso is a 52/14 or only 3.71:1 and I can pedal that to 35 mph. Any faster (on long downhills) and I just freewheel with my head down.

Do you seriously think that you will spend much of your time pedalling at over 35 mph? Why have a ratio that you only use once or twice a year, downhill with a tailwind! :becool:

OP
OP
K

km991148

thats the kind of common sense advice I needed.. I thought I was going a bit mad..!

the only comparison I have is with 48Ax38Sx28S and 11 on the flatbar globe, which shows an extra 1.2mph on the calculator (i.e. 48x11 @ 80rpm - 4.36/1) and I guess the better position and weight of a road bike will more than make up for it..!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I certainly see no great advantage of a compact over a triple, on the contrary!

Weight issue is no big deal, but the Triple gives a better spread of gears and less double-shifting than a compact. There's no disadvantage to having a granny gear, who knows where your riding will take you, or how far?

As colinJ says, 50 x 12 is a pretty reasonable gear, if you're regularly spinning-it out then contemplate changing it, or cheaper, fit a 52T chainring.

I'd take a Triple over a compact any day.

OP
OP
K

km991148

@fab-

didnt even think that was possible, I thought all chainrings were done at the same time like a cassette..!!

ColinJ

Fab Foodie said:
Weight issue is no big deal, but the Triple gives a better spread of gears and less double-shifting than a compact. There's no disadvantage to having a granny gear, who knows where your riding will take you, or how far?

As colinJ says, 50 x 12 is a pretty reasonable gear, if you're regularly spinning-it out then contemplate changing it, or cheaper, fit a 52T chainring.

I'd take a Triple over a compact any day.
My thinking too. I started with 52/42/32 chainrings and replaced the smaller rings with 39/30 when the originals wore out. I started with a 12-23 cassette them went to 13-26 and eventually ended up where I am now, on 14-28. I find that the lower gears are much more useful than the higher gears used to be. If your bottom gear is too high, you might have to walk. If your top gear is too low, freewheel! Obviously racing is a different matter.

ColinJ

km991148 said:
@fab-

didnt even think that was possible, I thought all chainrings were done at the same time like a cassette..!!
On some very cheap bikes, the chainrings might be riveted on. On more expensive bikes they are always individually bolted on so you have a certain amount of choice as to what you fit. There are limits of course as to how big or small the rings can be.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
another vote for triple over compact.

jimboalee

Don't worry about the top end.
If you find you can spin-out 50 x 12 on a flat road, you'll be kicking yourself for not turning pro years ago.

Worry about the low end.
How steep are the hills where you are?

The Spesh Allez Elite is reputed to be 22lb with a pair of pedals etc.
For this, it will need a 45" gear. Lower = better.

The Spesh Allez Elite has a 34 x 25 ( 36" ) so it's got the gearing.

The 36" gear should be good for a 15% hill. :biggrin: IF you can pull the cranks round at 35 rpm....:wacko:

OP
OP
K

km991148

ColinJ said:
Anyone who can pedal for more than few yards at over 35 mph probably doesn't need to ask for advice on his/her gearing! :tongue:

ha.. well who knows what will happen in the future, I can get fast enough n the ol hybrid (or could when I trained a bit..)

jimboalee said:
Don't worry about the top end.
If you find you can spin-out 50 x 12 on a flat road, you'll be kicking yourself for not turning pro years ago.

Worry about the low end.
How steep are the hills where you are?

The Spesh Allez Elite is reputed to be 22lb with a pair of pedals etc.
For this, it will need a 45" gear. Lower = better.

The Spesh Allez Elite has a 34 x 25 ( 36" ) so it's got the gearing.

The 36" gear should be good for a 15% hill. :biggrin: IF you can pull the cranks round at 35 rpm....:smile:

Not worried about the hills about here, I have been over the worst on my hybrid and they are ok, only one real bad one where I had to stop once, but a few runs up it will sort that out..

>>>If you find you can spin-out 50 x 12 on a flat road, you'll be kicking yourself for not turning pro years ago.

Thats what I was looking for.. I thought thats was the case, I sometime spin out on moderate long downhills but that would be going fast enough anyway.. so probably dont need any more!

I just didnt want it do br completely cr@p - but I think everyone has reassued me that I am being mad..

cheers all,
km

GrasB

Veteran
Find what works for you. Personally I find a compact easier to deal with, less overlap & more defined range makes for less swapping chainrings. By the time I get a chainring setup that works in a triple I've either put the top chainring at around 60t or the bottom chainring around the 20t mark both of which are useless to me.

Top Bottom