Another Cyclist Assaulted, Another Fine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
It's just a pity the thug didn't pick on a cyclist that enjoys a bit of Jiu Jitsu, because his military career would have ended as soon as the floor kick landed

If at all possible folks, avoid confrontation. But if you were ever pushed to the floor it doesn't mean it's game over for you.

:whistle:

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
Yep. There's never going to be a GOOD outcome to 'remonstrating the driver', so just don't bother.

Quite. We should let them bully us off our bikes.

"I was a regular cyclist for many, many years and now I'm reluctant to go out on my bike."

Very, very sad.

A sad story, but not as bad as it might be. Sympathies to the chap who was chased, beaten and kicked. That will wake him in the night for a while yet.

As to the judge, I find myself admiring his stance. He had to weigh justice and 'reality'.

The miscreant has a conviction for assault and it is recorded that he could have been jailed but wasn't for the sake of his career.

The fine is significant (in comparison with similar events) and the judge's words show an explicit recognition of the cause of some of the animosity on the roads and its link to the unhelpful proximity of passing cars to cyclists. Every time this message is speeled out explicitly, it will strengthen the case for the next prosecution.

Horrible situation, but well done to the judge.

Origamist

Legendary Member
If that's his level of judgement, I think the army would be better off without him.

I'm not so sure, Spinney. The armed forces deal with a large number of young men who have anger management issues and the training and discipline that they submit to is geared towards getting soldiers to harness that aggression. It might be that this hot-headed, 20 year old's best chance of avoiding jail in future is to remain in the army and not mix with hardened lags in gaol.

It is also interesting and heartening that the judge makes the point that cyclists have the right to point out to motorists the error of their ways (something I find fruitless 90% of the time) without fear of being assualted. In this regard, and from his other comments, the judge seems both sensible and enlightened where cyclists and motorists are concerned.

Last edited:

Davidsw8

Makes me laugh that they're talking about 10 years in prison for benefit fraud but you can physically assault someone and be fined with no jail time. Shouldn't it be the other way round?

I would have thought that prison was a place to put people that are a danger to the community, this chap definitely sounds like a danger if he can flip like that at someone just getting in his way a bit and tapping his wing mirror!

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
IMO a driver who’s completed IAM training can be held to a higher competence than someone who’s just passed their test. Basically they’ve been trained to a higher level, they should be operating on a higher level.

In the same way. A soldiers been trained how to fight, been trained when it’s appropriate to engage in combat and when it’s not.

Seeing as he’s not shown this control and brought disrepute to his profession, would the army just say “it’s been dealt with by a civilian court” or is he likely to face further sanctions within his professional career?

Any monetary fine is ridiculous, they should remove a persons ability to drive. Either impound the vehicle used or suspend the driver. (or both)

IMO a driver who’s completed IAM training can be held to a higher competence than someone who’s just passed their test. Basically they’ve been trained to a higher level, they should be operating on a higher level.

In the same way. A soldiers been trained how to fight, been trained when it’s appropriate to engage in combat and when it’s not.

Seeing as he’s not shown this control and brought disrepute to his profession, would the army just say “it’s been dealt with by a civilian court” or is he likely to face further sanctions within his professional career?

Some many years ago, I was serving as a civilian supporting an element of 7 RHA, a unit with all the swagger and pride one associates with their beret.

They were an ugly (mostly) and effective unit. One night the fire alarms went off after a prank and we were all paraded in blowing snow in the pitch dark. A junior rank made a cheeky comment during roll call and the BSM floored him with a single punch. To a weedy civvie like me, it was a shock and an education. To the others, it was expected and quite right. The gym was closed twice while I was there, for disparaging comments about the PTI being a 'hat' (an insult in that unit). They were an unruly and slightly mad group.

I flew home before their tour was finished and two of them flew with me. I asked why the short tour, as they seemed fit and well. "We're off to court on assault charges, for pub fights in Colchester" was the cheery reply. Comrades of theirs let me know that while the military could do without this sort of thing, it was somehow expected of this sort of unit and largely overlooked in terms of its effect on careers. I believe that was the case.

MarkF

Guru
He shouldn't have slapped the mirror without being sure that he was capable enough to see the situation through.

Harsh and I do feel sorry for the cyclist, but he chose to escalate the conflict.

Reactions: Maz
Any monetary fine is ridiculous, they should remove a persons ability to drive. Either impound the vehicle used or suspend the driver. (or both)

Agreed, if he drives stupidly then assaults someone who warns him of his presence he's not fit to hold a license.

Trickedem

Guru
Some many years ago, I was serving as a civilian supporting an element of 7 RHA, a unit with all the swagger and pride one associates with their beret.
A junior rank made a cheeky comment during roll call and the BSM floored him with a single punch. They were an unruly and slightly mad group.
Airborne Gunners!! Boris, your story bought some great memories flooding back. I served with their predecessors in Aldershot. They didn't like 'hats' either and you didn't get to be a BSM unless you were good at fighting!

Maz

Guru
In this regard, and from his other comments, the judge seems both sensible and enlightened where cyclists and motorists are concerned.
Judge Michael Mettyear (left) arriving at Hull Crown Court, yesterday.
Mike-and-Derek-Bikeshare.jpg

Reactions: 4F
Top Bottom