Another cyclist dead in London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
And if the lorry/large vehicle comes from behind?

At the end of the day, the lorry driver will be convicted but it will not bring back the dead cyclist. If we can make our fellow cyclist aware and avoid them being placed in that situation we will save lives. I have seen safety conscious cyclists get off their bike when a lorry comes from behind and Is just too close for comfort. I have done the same.

Pointless being a dead hero thinking that you were right as the lights go off in your life.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
If 14 MPs dropped dead there would be an enquiry and 14 dead in 20 days, by the end of the year it won't even get reported it will be so common

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
At the end of the day, the lorry driver will be convicted but it will not bring back the dead cyclist. If we can make our fellow cyclist aware and avoid them being placed in that situation we will save lives. I have seen safety conscious cyclists get off their bike when a lorry comes from behind and Is just too close for comfort. I have done the same.

Pointless being a dead hero thinking that you were right as the lights go off in your life.
You don't have time to get off your bike, it doesn't just happen if the cyclist is stationary at the lights.

TfL commissioned the Transport Research Laboratory, an independent study group hived off from the Department for Transport in 1996, to look into what could be done to make construction traffic in the capital safer for cyclists.

The findings were damning. Across the industry, it found, there was "a lack of ownership of road risk", unlike the attitude towards accidents on site.

The report makes a dozen recommendations, including that road collisions connected to building sites should be reported as if they were workplace accidents, and that contractors set out safe delivery routes which avoid narrow roads, risky junctions and schools. The report suggests more work on blind spots on lorries, less stressful delivery deadlines and research into whether "pay per load" contracts can tempt drivers into recklessness.

Peter Hendy, who heads TfL, said a particular problem seemed to be limited delivery windows at construction sites: "If you drive a bus and you're late because of traffic you're not asked to make up the time by driving quickly. The construction industry seems to have a very rigid idea about time slots."

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/feb/01/construction-lorries-cyclist-deaths-report

Cyclists-in-London-010.jpg

subaqua

What’s the point
strong primary if you get there 1st . if you don't then don't go past left or right . wait for the 3 or 4 seconds it is going to possibly save you. but stay in the strong primary wherever you stop.

The trouble is, cyclists do all that and still get killed.

The lorry driver who killed cyclist Catriona Patel was drunk and chatting on a mobile.

The lorry driver who killed Eilidh Cairns had faulty eyesight (the police didn't even bother to discover this until the same driver killed another woman.)

The lorry driver who killed cyclist Brian Dorling turned across his path.

The lorry driver who killed cyclist Svetlana Tereschenko was in an unsafe lorry, failing to indicate and chatting on a mobile. The police decided to charge him with..nothing.

The lorry driver who killed cyclist Deep Lee failed to notice her and smashed into her from behind.

The lorry driver that killed cyclist Andrew McNicoll failed to notice him and side swiped him.

The lorry driver that killed cyclist Daniel Cox was in a truck which did not have the correct mirrors and whose driver had pulled into the ASL on a red light and was indicating in the opposite direction to which he turned.

That doesn't suggest cautious behaviour by lorry drivers to me.

albion

Guru
...However a small niumber went alongside these vehicles not realising the danger. I don't think they understand the concept of blind spots.
Well, of you see one do it catch them up safely and warn them. You might just save a life.

I always assume a driver might not have signalled that being common as muck, at least for car drivers.

Well, of you see one do it catch them up safely and warn them. You might just save a life.

I always assume a driver might not have signalled that being common as muck, at least for car drivers.

Agree.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Isnt it about time the government funded a public awareness film to be shown on all channels over a period of time.

The ones they showed when I was younger really stuck in my head.

Crankarm

Guru
I have tried to warn other cyclists about the dangers of riding up the inside of large and long slow moving or stationary vehicles. I have sat behind buses adjacent to the nearside kerb waiting for them to move off and been pushed out the way buy ninjas on BSOs and MAMILs on road bikes determined to get through even with gaps between an HGV or bus with the kerb of 6 inches. Yep 6 inches! I have seen muppets try to squeeze along between the kerb and a bus. I have been told to fark off for voicing my concern for their safety. It is sad when cyclists are killed when they have been beyond reproach but many sadly put themselves in harms way.

RIP the lady cyclist who was killed this morning.

Last edited by a moderator:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The other day i was at the lights behind a truck with one of those cyclists beware i can't see you signs on the back. I don't need a sign to keep well back but i witnessed the idiot driving the wagon turn left without indicating. If the driver indicated left on approach to the lights and kept the indicator on surely this would lessen the chances of a cyclist committing the deadly act of pulling up alongside a wagon's blind spot.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
[QUOTE 3488592, member: 9609"]Where ? London, England, UK, Europe

I'm guess i's London as per the thread title, but that is an astonishing figure.
It is appalling that such carnage is not getting national news coverage.[/QUOTE]
Not just London, I think 3 of those people who have died have been from the south west.

Tim Hall

[QUOTE 3488592, member: 9609"]Where ? London, England, UK, Europe

I'm guess i's London as per the thread title, but that is an astonishing figure.
It is appalling that such carnage is not getting national news coverage.[/QUOTE]
No, it's UK wide. The subject of this thread was the first cyclist to die on London's roads this year (according to the BBC).
Note that of the 14, one died of natural causes (heart attack) and another died after colliding with a pedestrian.

Top Bottom