Another cyclist dead in London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
[quote removed, refers to a now-edited post.]
He didn't say that that was what happened in this case/that it was the cyclist's fault.
That remains to be seen.
And RIP as he said.
It is undeniable that there are some stupid cyclists.
I have also seen SOME amazing things.
And had some amazing reacxtions from SOME cyclists when I have pointed out some things.
Be careful out there - you will almost certainly get to your destination faster than any vehicle by bike - no need to win every stage race.

Last edited by a moderator:

fimm

Veteran
The lorry driver that killed cyclist Andrew McNicoll failed to notice him and side swiped him.
Do you have a link for this one? I cycle along the road where Mr McNicoll was killed regularly and have never seen any formal reporting of what happened.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3488592, member: 9609"]Where ? London, England, UK, Europe

I'm guess i's London as per the thread title, but that is an astonishing figure.
It is appalling that such carnage is not getting national news coverage.[/QUOTE]
Although, to keep a little perspective around a clearly tragic tragic event...I supect the number of pedestrian deaths are far higher...I can't find any stats, perhaps it's too early in the year but I do see that over the last 15 years there have been between 1,000 and 1,500 pedestrian deaths and life changing injuries each year.

Do you have a link for this one? I cycle along the road where Mr McNicoll was killed regularly and have never seen any formal reporting of what happened.

Prosecutors alleged Mr Stewart overtook Mr McNicoll, of Balerno, at an unsafe point in the road and that a trailer that was attached to his vehicle came into contact with the bike rider.

Prosecution lawyers alleged this caused the keen road cyclist to lose control of his bike and hit a parked Mazda.

The horror smash caused serious injuries and led to the insurance officer dying. During proceedings, the court heard that accident investigators were unable to prove the accident was caused by bad driving.

In his closing speech, defence advocate Steve Love described Mr McNicoll’s death as “sad”, but said the evidence surrounding the alleged incident pointed to it being a “tragic accident” as opposed to a criminal act.

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...er-death-of-cyclist-andrew-mcnicoll-1-3348358

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I'm not aware of any evidence showing what percentage of these kind of incidents are caused by the cyclist going up the inside, and what percentage by a left hook.

Does anyone else know?
It would be quite useful, as I often see people write stuff along the lines of "Well, what do you expect when cyclists always go up the inside?"

Exactly. Magnatom, ex of this parish, showed footage that led to a conviction for careless driving. Idiot overtook towing a trailer and very nearly smashed into Magnatom as he cut back in. Magnatom shouted, the driver said "You undertook you cxxx!"

His excuse was rehearsed. The driver knew what to say to get off, without the footage he would have got away with it. Driver kills a cyclist, two witnesses know what happened and one's dead, the driver claims "They undertook!" case closed.

fimm

Veteran
Prosecutors alleged Mr Stewart overtook Mr McNicoll, of Balerno, at an unsafe point in the road and that a trailer that was attached to his vehicle came into contact with the bike rider.

Prosecution lawyers alleged this caused the keen road cyclist to lose control of his bike and hit a parked Mazda.

The horror smash caused serious injuries and led to the insurance officer dying. During proceedings, the court heard that accident investigators were unable to prove the accident was caused by bad driving.

In his closing speech, defence advocate Steve Love described Mr McNicoll’s death as “sad”, but said the evidence surrounding the alleged incident pointed to it being a “tragic accident” as opposed to a criminal act.

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...er-death-of-cyclist-andrew-mcnicoll-1-3348358
Thank you.

It's horrible. Ride close to parked cars and you get doored and killed like Sam Harding. Driver walked free from court.

Ride in Primary and a lorry entering the road you're on can crush you to death anyway, like mother-of-five Mrs Pinhamy. Driver walked free from court.

Dominate the lane completely and you can get rammed from behind and killed like Mr Mason. Driver was found guilty of manslaughter and got five years inside. Not really, she wasn't charged with anything.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Still, bloody cyclists, eh?

classic33

Leg End Member
Much respect.
The family of a cyclist killed in a crash with a lorry today paid tribute to her “effervescent and infectious spirit” as the London cycling community she treasured staged a “die in” protest in her memory.

Physiotherapist Stephanie Turner, 29, was killed two miles from her home when she was hit by an HGV as she turned left into Amhurst Park off the Seven Sisters Road in Stamford Hill on Tuesday last week.

The university graduate was killed four months after her sister Clair Widdicombe, a 38-year-old primary school teacher, died giving birth last September.

Our sincerest condolences go out to Stephanie, friends and family.
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/lond...-to-woman-killed-in-lorry-crash-10004488.html

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
This type of incident, where a lorry turns at a junction and collides with a cyclist is not just a UK phenomenom. It is also the biggest cause of cycling deaths in Denmark each year. Obviously, ours occur on right turns.

It also appears most of the victims are women. Two of the reasons given for that is that men are more able to get themselves off a bike in an emergency situation or are more able to actually ride the bike up the kerb onto the footpath.
All I am doing here is repeating what a study said.

As an ex lorry driver I cannot see how a driver can ride passed a bike and then turn in front of them without knowing where they are. If you are turning at the next junction and dont have time to overtake, it is far easier and safer to hang back and let the cyclist pass the junction.

On the other hand if you are in slow moving traffic or stationary traffic and a cyclist comes up the Inside, they can be almost impossible to see, even if you have a cab decked out like a Vespa scooter with mirrors.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I'd be interested in a breakdown of all incidents where a cyclist is killed or injured by a left-turning lorry, to know how many were due to the cyclist going up the inside, and how many were left hooks.

Does anyone know if such analysis exists?

albion

Guru
....Does anyone know if such analysis exists?
Well. I saw a BBC map of deaths a year or two back and what appalled me was that the main 2 deaths that had stuck in mind and correctly checked for, were not reported on the map.

So if you see one, be aware that it may likely be incomplete, god knows why.

I've been passed by probably tens of thousands of HGVs, and virtually none of them has tried to kill me. But "virtually none" is still half a dozen or more, and one is all that's required. They overtake me, and immediately move into the space I was intending to occupy. If I hadn't slowed down, and on a couple of occasions braked suddenly, I have been killed. And someone, somewhere would have been making remarks about female cyclists putting themselves in danger

Top Bottom