Another cyclist left for dead by a hit & run driver (in Blantyre)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Many years ago, a car turned across me at a junction, which I tried to avoid by going behind, but hit the side rear of the car knee first, which I later found out had caused enough damage for it to be written it off. The car tried to race away at very high speed. A driver witnessed it, and assumed by the way I'd cascaded through the air, I was dead anyway, so tried to follow them, but they got to over 60 mph in a 30 mph zone, and the offending car was still disappearing fast, so they had to drop the chase, but had managed to get the details. The Police were at the house in what could only be minutes after the car had got there. The driver was in bed, and had had the whiskey and water his mother always left for them.

They got off with drunk driving, as well as failing to stop, as they claimed they thought the 'bang' was their tool box moving in the boot.

They were found guilty of undue care and attention, which meant I got a full pay out plus compensation, but it was one hell of a battle as they could afford good solicitors.

The witness that chased them was in Court to give evidence, and nearly got summonsed due to their reaction to the sentence, as they had got a higher fine for doing 38 on a 30 mph dual carriageway at 4 in the morning.

A sorry tale.

Had it happened today, there's a good chance there would be some CCTV, if not of the crash, but of at least part of the driving away.

Coupled with the evidence of the pursuing driver there may be a chance of having a go at dangerous driving.

Much would depend on how much resource, for whatever reason, the police put into the investigation.

A widespread appeal for information could bring forward more witnesses who would say 'the car hammered past me' or 'it nearly ran me over'.

I've seen successful dangerous driving prosecutions mounted on similar evidence.

A sorry tale.

Had it happened today, there's a good chance there would be some CCTV, if not of the crash, but of at least part of the driving away.

Coupled with the evidence of the pursuing driver there may be a chance of having a go at dangerous driving.

Much would depend on how much resource, for whatever reason, the police put into the investigation.

A widespread appeal for information could bring forward more witnesses who would say 'the car hammered past me' or 'it nearly ran me over'.

I've seen successful dangerous driving prosecutions mounted on similar evidence.

I'm fairly sure the offender was the subject of a news item a few years later, and had died at the hands of a hit and run driver.

I had nothing to do with it, not even a penny in a wishing well, and despite what they worked hard to get away with, I still didn't wish that on them or their family.

Top Bottom