Another death

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Audi?

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Lots of comments have been removed from both the live update page and the collision story on the Echo site. There are some quite petty people in this world and I'm sure the family wanted to read that. :angry:

I know this road quite well. I know people who have been doing the speed limit down there only to be overtaken by idiots. I know people who have gone forward on green from the back of Machine Mart at the lights only to see a driver whizz through a red in front of them..

I left a couple of comments on the Echo's facebook page - traffic calming is definitely needed. They could put in a segregated and walled off section of cycle lane quite easily and this would stop the double-laning issues.

RIP

Maylian

Veteran
Yeah lots of unhelpful comments about whether he was wearing a helmet. Also people stating about how cyclists ignore the rules, says a lot about peoples perceptions of them.

After a few days training in Reading I saw upwards of 20-30 cyclists running reds and all of about 4 stopping. Thoughts go out to all involved, normally I use the old roads running parallel to this one, mainly because I prefer windy roads but I can see how this would be dangerous.

Leodis

Veteran
Cyclists running reds are cretins but no more so than anyone else doing it inc Peds

RIP brother in lycras

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Any Sotonians heard anything else about this? One of the Councillors is attempting to fight to increase safety for cyclists in the area there. If anyone wants to contact Cllr Sharon Mintoff then use her email: Councillor.S.Mintoff@southampton.gov.uk

Two solutions I have sent in (after it being mentioned and removed from original story due to the idiots on the Echo site - one of whom is suggested that I be arrested for promoting cycling) are

- work with the Uni and Soton Cycling Campaign to flesh out alternative routes around TLW - and strongly promote it! Add in a 20mph zone and it will seduce riders away from TLW (which is deceptive due to its width)

- put in WIDE, cycle lanes, but wall them off with concrete ala Redbridge: http://goo.gl/maps/bI34i This may stop those drivers attempting to create two lanes at 40mph and above, and the dangerous overtakes of other motor vehicles...

RIP. Yet another cyclist killed in Southampton, very sad.

On the subject of infrastructure; how much do you think it would cost to put dedicated cycle lanes on Thomas Lewis Way? I think even with a cycle lane, it's such a noisy juggernaut hogging type road that I think cyclists would still avoid it, that said I'd rather have that than a 20mph speed limit along portswood road which imo would be pretty unworkable and unpopular.

The council are already about to spend a few million pounds laying a cycle lane from Southampton Central Station to Swanage, so I'm sure they'd be up for considering proposals to improve cycling infrastructure elsewhere.

I think a cycle lane on TLW would also be a faster way into the town centre, although would need to be properly signposted and accessible.

PS: I also agree with walling off the cycle lane, this would definitely work well on TLW IMHO. You could even have a double lane on the left side of the road, thereby avoiding the right hand turns although not sure how you'd join it and would be stuck on it until you reached St Denys.

Of course, you have to wonder why they built such a big bit of road infrastructure with no consideration whatsoever for cyclists.

livpoksoc

Guru
I drive this road when i take the car to work, as others have said it's currently not well controlled and far too many cars do in excess of the 40mph limit as it's single lanes but the lane is two cars wide so encourages overtaking.

All that aside, for now there is someone who is grieving the loss of someone far too young. RIP

Top Bottom