Another death

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Frood42

I know where my towel is
I know this is stating the obvious but another benefit of walling off the lane is that it stops people parking on it - a very real problem around here I can assure you, although wouldn't be a problem on TLW. Also, generally speaking you don't have to apply much paint.

On Epping New Rd, cars do not park, there are small car parks provided along the way for those going for a hike/wander around Epping Forest.

Although cars using bike lanes as a parking bay are a constant problem on quite a few roads I travel on, but these need proper enforcement and not a wall. A few tickets here and there would get the message out, but as it stands people know they can get away with it and so will do it.

One of the biggest jokes of a newly installed cycle lane I have seen recently is here:
http://goo.gl/maps/fS73L

You have houses up and down the whole road, so you get cars parked up and down the whole road, so what do they do?
Put a cycle lane in where the cars normally park, so you would have to ride through cars to use it, and then don't bother with enforcement as they know residents park along the road, what was the point, really?
At least they didn't put in a cycle lane in the door zone, encouraging drivers to door cyclists they do not see.
The cycle lane also appears and disappears in strange places and is inconsistent, and in places takes you out of the drivers line of sight at junctions, it's pathetic really and a complete waste of money, and I don't use it.
It always makes me cringe when I see inexperienced cyclists weaving in and out of the cycle lane (to go around parked cars and ending up in the door zone or squeezed into the door zone by a car due to the cycle lane taking them out of sight) when they could have taken a much safer and more predictable wide line in primary out of the door zone, as I do.

I am ranting now, and taking the thread off topic I suspect, so I shall stop.

Top Bottom