Another disc brake question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dwn

I wonder if any of you could give me some advice about disc rotors.

I am changing the wheels on my Triban rc520 to Fulcrum 6 Racing DB. The disc rotors on my current wheels are the 6 bolt type, the attachment for which seems to be an integral part of the wheel. The fulcrum wheels appear to be centre locking. Am I better getting an adaptor and using the current rotors (not much mileage) or getting new centre lock rotors?

If the latter, does it have to be the same brand?

Thanks

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
2x 6bolt to centrelock sets will probably be less £ than a centrelock disc. Would be a no brainer to put them on new wheelset

Reactions: Dwn

JhnBssll

Veteran
agree with the above - the adapters work well and are a cheaper alternative to new centrelock rotors.

For future reference, disc rotors are generally interchangeable between manufacturers, you just have to match the diameter. They can vary in thickness but most calipers have enough piston travel for it not to cause a problem. They also vary in material hardness - only really a problem if you're using sintered pads as the cheaper and softer rotors will get chewed up pretty quickly by these. Most OEM brakes use resin pads though so unlikely to be a problem.

Reactions: Dwn
OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

Thanks for the information on this. A set of centrelock to 6 bolt adaptors are on their way to me, so that should take care of things and allow me to use the existing rotors.

Just make sure the disc centres are large enough to pass over the new wheel hubs, I did the same with some Zonda's so bought the adaptors without checking.
When they came the centre hole was smaller than the centrelock spline, ended up buying new discs!

Giant defy 3 advanced pro 3 2016 model with 140mm rotors.

OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

Just make sure the disc centres are large enough to pass over the new wheel hubs, I did the same with some Zonda's so bought the adaptors without checking.
When they came the centre hole was smaller than the centrelock spline, ended up buying new discs!

Giant defy 3 advanced pro 3 2016 model with 140mm rotors.
Turned out to have the same problem - so now bought centrelock rotors!

Top Bottom