another dumb question this tme its the rear Hub

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bad boy

Über Member
Hi everyone

Sorry to bother you all again with my bike troubles.

I decided in my wisdom to inspect the rear wheel as I wanted to sort out the disk rubbing on my bad boy, that done I thought I could feel some play in the hub, so I removed the wheel and quick release and spun it whilst holding either edge of the axle it was smooth and noise free.

I did notice however that I was able to turn the locknut on the end with my fingers !?. Is this a problem should it be super tight against the cone or is it ok that its sort of finger tight ?.

I understand that you need a little play with the wheel out and not under the pressure of the quick release but didn't know if I need to use a couple of cone spanners and tighten the locknut without moving the cone ?.

Its not as if its going anywhere as when its in the frame and tight the locknut cant turn and no play is present at all but its sort of got me worried :ohmy:

The locknut should prevent any play in the cassette - have a check on the large sprocket by grasping it firmly and feeling for any play in it. If so tighten the lockring until the play disappears.

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
Thanks accountantpete

Yes I thought that was the case but this may sound stupid but should I be able to adjust the locknut by hand or should it be tightened down hard with the spanner at the desired position ?.

At the moment its fine there is no play but if I take the quick release off ill be able to adjust the locknut by just using my fingers is this right or should it be tight ?

Im probably making no sense sorry

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Careful...acctpete thinks it's the cassette locknut.

The hub locknuts should be tight - axel ones...if loose, you'll need cone spanners and a normal spanner - be careful tightening it...... as it can go too tight - just a little practice.

I always ensure the 'drive side' is locked out tight, then can adjust the non-drive side until OK.

A slight, very slight amount of play is OK, as this will tighten up upon securing the wheel and quick release. You check that by trying to rattle the rim of the wheel side to side - any play, then re-adjust. Patience is needed.

Cassette lock ring should be tight also......

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
Thanks for clearing that up for me Fossy.

I just popped the back wheel out again removed the QR and if I turn the locknut by hand half a turn on the non drive side and spin the wheel I can feel its too tight as it does not spin smoothly so loosened it again slightly and it was really smooth. Its at this point Im not sure what to do as the locknut is not exactly tight to anything cos I can still move it either way by hand so just popped by the back wheel back tightened the QR checked for any movement which there wasnt and thats it !?.

when its in the frame and the QR is tightened the locknut cant move anyway can it ?.

Top Bottom