Another DVT tale..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Best wishes for a speedy recovery and that it never happens again @PK99 :hugs:
At least if was caught in time.

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
Best wishes. Caught early so should make a full recovery. Some of us are just prone to these things, methinks. Good idea to keep as active as possible, plenty of exercise, avoid dehydration and look at foodstuffs that might help to keep the blood less 'sticky.'

OP
OP
P

PK99

Legendary Member
Best wishes. Caught early so should make a full recovery. Some of us are just prone to these things, methinks. Good idea to keep as active as possible, plenty of exercise, avoid dehydration and look at foodstuffs that might help to keep the blood less 'sticky.'

Thanks for the reassurance, it does help at a stressful time.

What foodstuffs are you thinking of?

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
Was really thinking of stuff like garlic, cayenne peppers, turmeric etc. Although it's probably not a good idea to slouch about on the couch hoping that a daily dose of these will keep you safe!

gbb

Legendary Member
Aaargh - look after yourself! :hugs:

I think the reason that they are trying to shift over to NOACs (Novel Oral Anti-Coagulants) like Xarelto is that patients don't need monitoring the way that those on warfarin do. The drugs cost a lot more, but there isn't the same follow-up needed. NOACs are pretty much 'fire and forget' whereas those of us on warfarin need regular blood tests in order that the dose can be kept right - too much = bleed to death; too little = not helping..

Very informative, just goes to show, we see a cost and see it as just that but there's a lot in the background that needs to be taken into account, possibly they find its cheaper to the NHS to take what seems like the expensive option,

GWS PK99 :okay:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm allowed back now, with the instruction that any fall with any head impact (I MUST wear a helmet) means an immediate trip to A&E as risk of brain bleed is multiplied.
I found myself worrying about that kind of eventuality for the first few months back on my bike but in the end I decided that it would try and carry on as I did before the illness. It's not like I ever rode around thinking that it would be okay to fall off and hurt my head! But yes - falls are taken a bit more seriously ...

I wear a medical dog tag now. Most of the people I ride with already know about my medical history, but I usually tell any new cycling partners about the tag to make sure that paramedics would have it pointed out to them if I ever ended up unconscious after a problem on a ride.

@PK99 - you should be ok now you are being treated, but if you ever feel worried and need somebody to unload on, please feel free to PM me. I got a lot of support from fellow CycleChatters when I was ill and barely able to cope.

OP
OP
P

PK99

Legendary Member
I found myself worrying about that kind of eventuality for the first few months back on my bike but in the end I decided that it would try and carry on as I did before the illness. It's not like I ever rode around thinking that it would be okay to fall off and hurt my head! But yes - falls are taken a bit more seriously ...

I wear a medical dog tag now. Most of the people I ride with already know about my medical history, but I usually tell any new cycling partners about the tag to make sure that paramedics would have it pointed out to them if I ever ended up unconscious after a problem on a ride.

@PK99 - you should be ok now you are being treated, but if you ever feel worried and need somebody to unload on, please feel free to PM me. I got a lot of support from fellow CycleChatters when I was ill and barely able to cope.

Thank you for the advice and offer.

I' beginning to calm down as the initial shock wears off and I can see the meds working (leg looks normal now), but I may well take it up sometime.

Robxxx7

Über Member
was diagnosed with DVT about 2 1/2 years ago .. .. felt pain in my leg which made walking difficult and slightly swollen calf ... went to GP and was sent straight to A&E .. after an ultrasound was diagnosed with extensive DVT .. unexplained as to why it happened hence why i am now on Apixiban for life ... anyways feel fine now and back on the bike and cycling as much as i was before .. i wear a medical dog tag just like @ColinJ has ..just in case of emergencies ...

My leg is still slightly swollen but nowhere near as bad as it once was ... My consultant Hematologist seems happy and told me just to go out there and cycle .. no point being wrapped up in cotton wool ...

so @PK99 just let the shock subside...take the meds and get back on that bike and enjoy ... don't let things like this get to you and think positive ... things could have been a lot worse ... Happy pedalling

Top Bottom