Another DVT tale..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
Started feeling unwell on Easter Sunday when I needed an afternoon nap. By Monday it felt like a chest infection brewing, so started a "rescue pack" of antibiotics I have for recurring chest infections. Seemed to improve.

Thursday felt dreadful and inner thigh felt like I'd pulled it. Friday leg worse and felt more ill than I have ever felt. Dragged myself to GP with self diagnosed DVT. Sent to A&E.

Dual track treatment over weekend. intravenous penicillin for potential infection and Xarelto blood thinner for DVT.

Ultrasound yesterday. DVT confirmed.

BUGGER.

No PE. So no clot busters but on Xarelto for 3 months minimum.

Scary thing yesterday was when the Dispensing Pharmacist came along with a a full A4 checklist of things she had to tell me. Item 1 "You need to know that this medication is potentially seriously detrimental to your health" Oh goodie. The problem I have is so great that taking a medication that might kill me is lower risk.

Ah well!

GWS. I'm glad you've been diagnosed.

The problem I have is so great that taking a medication that might kill me is lower risk.
Warfarin?

vickster

Legendary Member
GWS. I'm glad you've been diagnosed.

Warfarin?
He says Xarelto :smile: (Rivaroxaban similar indication to warfarin) My dad was on it, but now on warfarin as the Rivaroxaban wasn't effective in his case (he has AF and a clot somewhere near his heart)

All the best @PK99 (not a result of the knee surgery?)

OP
OP
P

PK99

Legendary Member
He says Xarelto :smile: (Rivaroxaban similar indication to warfarin) My dad was on it, but now on warfarin as the Rivaroxaban wasn't effective in his case (he has AF and a clot somewhere near his heart)

All the best @PK99 (not a result of the knee surgery?)

no. other leg. random occurrence with no cause identified.

Drago

Legendary Member
Blimey, here's for a speedy recovery.

He says Xarelto
Reading skills. 0%

apparently the stuff I am on is better than warfarin. seeing as Google tells me it costs 70x Wafarin they must believe it!
That's good news. My dad was on warfarin, continually being promised the better drugs, but they never made to the approved list before he died. Warfarin is a terrible pain in the arse, and easy to get wrong.

@PK99 - get a medical info bracelet. If you are unconscious, it's important they know you are on anticoagulants ASAP.

OP
OP
P

PK99

Legendary Member
Reading skills. 0%

That's good news. My dad was on warfarin, continually being promised the better drugs, but they never made to the approved list before he died. Warfarin is a terrible pain in the arse, and easy to get wrong.

@PK99 - get a medical info bracelet. If you are unconscious, it's important they know you are on anticoagulants ASAP.

Thanks @jefmcg I ordered one last night!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Aaargh - look after yourself! :hugs:

I think the reason that they are trying to shift over to NOACs (Novel Oral Anti-Coagulants) like Xarelto is that patients don't need monitoring the way that those on warfarin do. The drugs cost a lot more, but there isn't the same follow-up needed. NOACs are pretty much 'fire and forget' whereas those of us on warfarin need regular blood tests in order that the dose can be kept right - too much = bleed to death; too little = not helping.

After I got my DVT, I read about May-Thurner syndrome (a.k.a. iliac vein compression syndrome).That might be worth looking at as a potential cause of your problem?

Hopefully, the Xarelto should give your body a chance to sort the clot out and you never get another one. You will need to be very alert in the future though because scar tissue is often left behind as parts of the clot get incorporated into the inside of the vein. That scar tissue can be the site for future clotting events, which is what happened to me and why I am now on meds for life.

Top Bottom