Another Fatality

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Baldy

Über Member
Drink and drug driving and kids racing around in ridiculously overpowered German sports saloons, treating the road like Grand Theft Auto.... it's all out of control.

It was a Ford Fiesta, not an overpowered German car.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

Alex321

Veteran
The driver was found guilty and has been jailed for 13 years - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-66501459

Hopefully they'll learn. But I doubt it. And they'll be out and driving again ... :cursing:

Well he has also been banned from driving for 11 years and 6 months - and that starts when he leaves prison (that is normally the case when driving bans are imposed at the same time as prison sentences).

Assuming he will be out in 7 years, that means 18 years before he is allowed to drive again. He is 24 now, so will be 42 by then. Maybe he will have matured, and learned something.

Last edited:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Well he has also been banned from driving for 11 years and 6 months - and that starts when he leaves prison (that is normally the case when driving bans are imposed at the same time as prison sentences).

Assuming he will be out in 7 years, that means 18 years before he is allowed to drive again. He is 24 now, so will be 42 by then. Maybe he will have matured, and learned something.

I do admire your optimism ;)

tom73

Guru
Surely this explains why they didn't see him? "two positive alcohol breathalyser tests at the police station, while blood samples showed he was over the limit for THC, the constituent of cannabis, and the metabolite of cocaine"

Are we sure they knew which planet they were on?

I'm fully aware of what was in his system and what state he was in. As it was Mrs 73 who attended him in custody and took the samples.
My point is he maintained that the cyclist had no lights even when confronted with the facts.
To the point of maintaining his clearly open goal of a defence throughout the whole process.
I won't say what he told officer he thought he'd hit out of respect to the person he did hit.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

Not quite.

The ban starts immediately, but it is extended to take account of the likely time in custody.

He will likely be released after six years, six months.

Thus he will have about five years of the ban to serve after release.

Doesn't sound a lot, but it is about what I would expect, and is clearly what the judge was aiming for.

He will also have to take an extended driving before driving again.

I'm told that is not easy, and for whatever reason, most people fail at least once.

Incidentally, for some sentences of seven years or more the defendant must serve two-thirds in custody.

These are described as serious offences of violence or serious sexual offences.

Merely killing someone with your car doesn't qualify.

Top Bottom