Another feeling old thread - pre-decimal currency

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks for making it clear

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Since when did haircuts have a number ?

I made the switch to the numerical hair levelling system when it started falling out.

Lovely Wife does mine - according to her the savings made over a barber visit offsets the astronomical amount of money her hairdresser charges her for titivating her somewhat more luxuriant tresses.

D

Deleted member 1258

I made the switch to the numerical hair levelling system when it started falling out.

Lovely Wife does mine - according to her the savings made over a barber visit offsets the astronomical amount of money her hairdresser charges her for titivating her somewhat more luxuriant tresses.

Local barber does mine for a fiver.

gbb

Legendary Member
6d, sixpence, for a bag of chips when we were kids. A once a week, possibly thursday night iirc.
Mars bars used to be the same.

Bag of chips now, in excess of a quid. Mars bar...probably half that price.

D

Deleted member 1258

6d, sixpence, for a bag of chips when we were kids. A once a week, possibly thursday night iirc.
Mars bars used to be the same.

Bag of chips now, in excess of a quid. Mars bar...probably half that price.

Fish and chips a once a week treat, usually on a Friday night, and only if my Dad was getting plenty of overtime. I remember chips at fourpence and then going up to sixpence, fish was about a shilling or a shilling and sixpence.

Reactions: gbb

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I used to be given 2 bob (10p) on Saturday to go swimming at Sparkhill baths and to get my dinner on the way home in 1966. A tanner (6d /2.5p) to get into the swimming baths and one and six (1s6d /7.5p) for fish and chips. It used to be 'Six of chips' for years.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
It still galls me that my first couple of years of proper school (i.e. not playing in the sand-pit or splashing paint on each other) were basically wasted.

L S.D "Nah forget all that, we're going decimal", feet and inches, "Nah it's Metric now"

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I remember at school having difficulty learning how to add pounds, shillings and pence and I'd just about got the hang of it when the teacher said in a few years time there'll be five pence in the shilling - not the most helpful of comments.

Top Bottom