Another first - highly dangerous close call.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrahamG

Guru
I hadn't even left for work, I was picking up a parcel from the local depot and returning home. 30 yards before my driveway (a right turn) I check behind and nearest car is a goo 30+ yards away so I just move over to right of the lane and signal, very clearly. A moment later, I'm just about to execute the turn when I do my last quick over the shoulder check. Thank god I did as the numpty mother in her MPV full of kids overtakes me at 30mph, as I'm signalling right and about to turn into my drive.

If I'd been feeling a little more awake, I'd have chased her down but god that was close - I've been commuting in Birmingham for nearly four years now and that is the closest I've ever come to being very seriously injured.

Cab

But you see, she has to get her children to school in that tank, and she's in a hurry because she then has to get to work, and the entire trip on foot would probably be hundreds of yards.

Ought to be locked up, drivers like that.

That's why they call it the 'life saver'!!

Well done for avoiding the collision. You managed it because you did the right thing. As for school run mum.....:biggrin:

(Please don't call MPV's tanks though, as we are about to pick a new one up on Tuesday :-( )

OP
OP
G

GrahamG

Guru
Not a tank at all - one of those Xsara picasso things.

I'm particularly vigilant on our driveway as I had a motorbike do the same thing to me years ago when I was driving - two 'lifesavers' generally!

Thanks god for cyclecraft; I'd have had a few mroe closer calls without bothering to read that, especially given that the city council (the largest single local authority in the country) doesn't offer cycle training.

Maz

Guru
A lot of those MPVs are so symmetrical in shape, you don't know if they're coming or going. A bit like their drivers, really.

There's definitely something I'm-not-stopping-for-anything-get-out-of-my-way-I'm-important in the mentality of a Picasso driver - either the car makes you drive like that, or that sort of person drives one.

But my suspicion is that they're bought by people who aren't very interested in driving, aren't road-aware, just want a transport-box for their families and are utterly selfish and unconcerned about everyone else.

The sort of people who push in front of you in queues, are rude and demanding to waiters, let their kids run riot in the supermarket or restaurant, etc.

Tynan

Veteran
well done

done 3 CBTs for the scooter and they drum the life saver into you over and over and over

well done

appalling driving, was there not space for her to pass you normally up the inside?

I should probably own up at this point. I am getting a Citroen C4 Picasso Grand delivered on Tuesday.

I intend to change the perception of Picasso drivers:smile:

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
Close call indeed, similar thing happened to me, was about to turn into my road, 120metres left of the 35km commute home from coventry, looked behind stuck out my arm to signal right, was 3/4 of the way over to the middle of the road and a feckwit in a silver bmw attempts to overtake. Seems he didn't see the white van coming the other way either who stopped, giving me enough time to cross the road and giving the bmw enough space to pull back onto his side of the road..... some people are too stupid to drive methinks

domd1979

Veteran
They probably ought to offer driver training.....

GrahamG said:
Thanks god for cyclecraft; I'd have had a few mroe closer calls without bothering to read that, especially given that the city council (the largest single local authority in the country) doesn't offer cycle training.

JamesAC

I was following a 'bus down the road .. I was in primary position, cos I thought I might overtake it when it stopped at the next stop. Bus stopped, I glanced over my shoulder, horrified to see a car trying to overtake me (where was he going? There was a 'bus parked ahead?) Car driver suddenly realises there is a bus in the waqy, and tries to overtake that, too. Unfortunately, there is a car comming in the opposite direction, so the daft b*gger tries to pull in on top of me!!! Fortunately, the other driver had the presence of mind to stop (he really had no obligation so to do, he was completely on the correct side of the road) and let the b*gger through.

Some people are not cut out as car drivers.

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
GrahamG, the exact same thing happened to me, in Birmingham too!

I was signalling right and some sixth sense made me check behind. There was a bloke in a smart car overtaking me as I was trying to do it! I couldn't believe it! It's scarey to come so close but a good reminder to always look behind you - if necessary more than once!

Glad you are okay!

Top Bottom