Another "First Week"......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

joemaxi

As it says on the tin, my first week of cycling to work!

It's not the biggest commute, about 4.5 miles, but I work shifts so I have been leaving the house at about 13.00 and starting the return journey about 00.45. The roads are nice and quiet at that time, usually only some of the other Asda lorry drivers shouting abuse at me as I pedal along!!

I must admit that I really enjoy the bike but it's scary when you realize how inexperienced I am as a cyclist. Just the simplest of things really- like do I pass the line of stationary traffic on the nearside or offside? At a 4 junction roundabout, when should I move over to the right hand lane?

I drive lorries for a living and don't think twice about what to do when I'm in the truck but being on the bike is a whole different ball game!

On the plus side, I'm 25% quicker on the new bile compared toy old halfords cheapy bike and my average speed is 14 mph which is not too bad for an unfit 40 year old lorry driver!

I also invested in a high viz jacket-Maddison I think????. Makes me feel a bit safer at night and I also have 2 rear lights just in case drivers miss the first one!!;)

On the whole, it's been a pleasant first week-my poor car hasn't turned a wheel since last Sunday! So with the price of fuel creeping up, my pocket feels better too!

Just as an afterthought, I'm sitting in a layby outside of Aberdeen after having a fish supper from a Chinese chippy in portlethen and I have to say it's the best fish supper I've ever had!!!

Going to do the lorry driver thing now and fall asleep for an hour!!

Night night!!

Good god I wish it was 1981 again.;)

Dilbert

I started as well this week and am suffering the same problems, particularly moving out into the steady stream of cars to make the right turn into work. I need to get Cyclecraft out of the library again.

Suddenly the journey to and from work is doing me good both physically and mentally rather than being another part of the job - I can't believe I have left it this long to be honest.:biggrin:

Good luck:bravo:

dave r said:
1963 I started to cycle to and from school, 1967 left school and started to cycle to and from work. I had a break and started commuting again in 1979, have been commuting ever since.

Nice one.;)...I was born then so I can't beat that,but I blame my parents.:sun::biggrin:

Actually that's true even though I borrowed my mate's bike I didn't get my first bike till I was 12.:bicycle:

Top Bottom