Another Fork Q! or new bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
Axle to crown measurement of suspension forks isn't that useful unless you state the max travel too.

Really all you need to do is find out the max travel of the forks (ie. 80mm 100mm 120mm etc) and if poss find the suspension correction of the frame.

The correction helps because for example some frames were made for 63-80mm travel and some for 80-100mm travel.

If you said you had forks with 80mm travel, you would need to know your frame geometry because a rigid fork for 63-80mm will need to be shorter than a rigid fork for 80-100mm; even though both frames had 80mm travel sus forks.

If you have a 63-80mm correction and/or your forks are 80mm or less - ie. 10+ year old bike. You will need an Axle to crown rigid fork in the range of 420-425mm

Frame with 100mm travel sus forks would require A-C length of 440-445mm

120mm travel forks need A-C of 465mm for rigid forks (you get the picture right?)

OP
OP
Mike!

Mike!

Guru
Yeah i think i get you td (sorry - that was easier to type!!).

Seem like a whole lot of b4ll ache just to swap some forks over!!

I'll see what i can find out about my bike and forks, i might still have the manual somewhere.......

e-rider

crappy member
well the 2005 Scott tampico had 80mm travel sus forks! And the 1996 model had rigid forks.

Can't find any models in between.

OP
OP
Mike!

Mike!

Guru
I called into Halfrauds very quickly on my way home yesterday just to have a look around at a couple of bikes, i'm weighing up my options and trying to decide if it's worth spending the cash on my current MTB or just buying something more suitable.

I have to say after feeling the weight of the current Hybrids and the Carrera Virtuoso i'm swaying towards just replacing the heavy old beast, even if i go second hand!

Top Bottom