Another freehub removal request

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smuggs

Going into retirement disgracefully!
Hi everyone,
l’ve looked at other posts on this subject, but can’t see any with a similar freehub assembly to mine. Please see attached photos. The wheel is a DT Swiss and I think the freehub is an 11 speed Shimano. On removal of the cassette, I can’t see any means of removing the freehub. There are no hex keys within the axle, only a serated shiny metal ring sat on the outside of the freehub. When you turn that, the whole axle turns on the non drive side. Looks like the non drive side needs to be held solid, allowing that notched ring to be undone with a special tool?Anyone familiar with this set up please.
Many thanks.

Attachments

• image_67510529.jpeg
    image_67510529.jpeg
    80 KB · Views: 18
  • image_67217665.jpeg
    image_67217665.jpeg
    85.4 KB · Views: 20

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I believe the axle has to come out first and then with normally a 10mm Allen key goes into the body and it will come off

This video may be of some use.

View: https://youtu.be/4pAhQSf5ucg?si=XQNW0inCM30E6ER1

OP
OP
Smuggs

Smuggs

Going into retirement disgracefully!
Looks like they’ve already removed the axle in the video. That’s the bit that’s causing me problems. How to get that silver coloured toothed ring off?

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Looks like they’ve already removed the axle in the video. That’s the bit that’s causing me problems. How to get that silver coloured toothed ring off?

If you spin the axle from the non drive side, does that silver washer thing spin with the axle?
Or if you spin the freehub does the washer spin?

Big John

Guru
Before you break it.....hang on. That video is for a bog standard freehub on a normal, no frills, hub. Let me have a look on YouTube and I'll be back but don't try anything just yet. I've removed one of these but a video will be better than any explanation I can put in words.

Big John

Guru

Top Bottom