Another Glasgow Newbie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fuzzball

Just got bike through cycle to work scheme and am trying to see what best way to work is. All road germiston to glasgow airport. Or quick trip to train in town and then off at paisley!
Of course i'll have to build up a bit before all road seems an option. Clyde tunnel is a bit off putting for road all the way.

Claire

killiekosmos

Veteran
Welcome, fuzzball

Check out the Sustrans site for routes through Glasgow.

http://www.sustrans.org.uk/map?key=Scotland&type=RG

Also Glasgow city council do a lot of free maps. If you can get down to Clyde you could go all the way along quayside to Renfrew ferry then Abbotsinch Road to airport. (Or train to Paisley)

DavieB

MIA
Ive been using google maps to make my routes, you can drag the route to add bits on and it gives you a choice for walking which keeps the route off the motorway. Hers one i made earlier. lol
2jbp72w.jpg

And a quick one for Germiston to the airport. Bear in mind you can manipulate the route to suit yourself.
ke69zk.png

bauldbairn

HLaB said:
Magnatom has several posts about the Clyde Cycle Tunnel, which runs below the road tunnel.

...and seems to be one of the main hazards in it!! :smile: - :biggrin:

Hello Fuzzball and Welcome to the CC forums. :biggrin:

DavieB

MIA
bauldbairn said:
...and seems to be one of the main hazards in it!! :smile: - :biggrin:

Hello Fuzzball and Welcome to the CC forums. :biggrin:

Lol just saw some of his posts on you tube. not very popular round these parts is he lol.

bauldbairn

DavieB said:
Lol just saw some of his posts on you tube. not very popular round these parts is he lol.

I was refering to some of his near misses with other cyclists in the tunnel! :biggrin:

He seems an ok bloke though. :smile:

DavieB

MIA
bauldbairn said:
I was refering to some of his near misses with other cyclists in the tunnel! :biggrin:

He seems an ok bloke though. :smile:

Saw one of him coming off on his channel another one where he is on STV. The replies on all his vids look to be posted by neds and idiots.

bauldbairn

DavieB said:
The replies on all his vids look to be posted by neds and idiots.

Exactly!! The neds-idiots who drive around 5/6 in a car shouting/jeering at every cyclist they pass. :biggrin:

MrRidley

Hi and welcome Fuzzball, i see you're from Germiston, i'm not too far from you, just the other side of the "Huggy Loch" xx( for your route to the airport, it depends on the time of day you are going, if it's rush hour i'd be going right along the Clyde to the ferrry, if not straight along Paisley rd West, but it's down to how confident you feel on some very busy roads

DavieB

MIA
Sorry to hijack a little, Jim to you cycle with a club. Im in the east end too Easthall to be precise. Wondered what sort of routes round here you do or if there is a local club.

MrRidley

DavieB said:
Sorry to hijack a little, Jim to you cycle with a club. Im in the east end too Easthall to be precise. Wondered what sort of routes round here you do or if there is a local club.

Davie, i'm in the Glasgow CtC club, we usually have a couple of runs a month to various places, be warned though it's not a racing club, there are all sorts in it, in fact i think i'm the youngest (38) with the oldest being about 75, some more info here http://www.ctcglasgow.org.uk/.

OP
OP
Fuzzball

Fuzzball

Thanks for the replies i work shifts 7am-2pm, 2pm-10pm, 10pm-7am.
Pretty much rules out renfrew ferry for morning starts and late starts finishes and the you tube vids of clyde tunnel are a bit off putting. I'll have to see how it goes. Think i'll be doing a few trial runs on days off b4 trying it out in anger

killiekosmos

Veteran
Fuzzball,

Check out cycle route from Glasgow Council and Renfrewshire Council. There are probably links on their web-site. GCC sent me lots of interesting maps

Top Bottom