Another Hanger Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Please note that anodising is very similar to electroplating in that in plating there is an Anode and a Cathode, the difference being that with deposit plating metal is transferred to the Cathode, whereas Anodising is the reverse and leaves a coating of Aluminium Oxide Al2 O3 or Corundum on the surface, certainly not ceramic.........................Google it.

Aluminum Oxide is a ceramic like substance that is just about inert. It's at least twice as hard as machine tool steel and about half the hardness of diamond. It is not ceramic as in pottery, but ceramic as in the ceramic coatings on high-performance pistons and turbo vanes. Although it is applied by electrolysis, it is completely different from electroplating. Electroplating deposits a flexible coating of metal on top of the substrate whereas anodizing deposits a hard glass-like layer inside the top layer of the substrate. Under flexion it cracks and propagates cracks into the material, like a scab on the knee propagates the crack into soft underlying tissue.

Don't get fixated on ceramic and create a straw man, tell us why you disagree with the hammering of a hanger. You've ridiculed it but the only defense you have presented so far is a woodworking certificate.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Aluminum Oxide is a ceramic like substance that is just about inert. It's at least twice as hard as machine tool steel and about half the hardness of diamond. It is not ceramic as in pottery, but ceramic as in the ceramic coatings on high-performance pistons and turbo vanes. Although it is applied by electrolysis, it is completely different from electroplating. Electroplating deposits a flexible coating of metal on top of the substrate whereas anodizing deposits a hard glass-like layer inside the top layer of the substrate. Under flexion it cracks and propagates cracks into the material, like a scab on the knee propagates the crack into soft underlying tissue.

Don't get fixated on ceramic and create a straw man, tell us why you disagree with the hammering of a hanger. You've ridiculed it but the only defense you have presented so far is a woodworking certificate.
I'll have you know that Cabinetmakers use a lot of Aluminium oxide or 'Garnet' paper to smooth wood as opposed to 'Chippies' who make do with sandpaper :becool:

Well new hangar received today and fitted and boy what a difference despite the old hangar's bend being invisible to the naked eye. It was only by lying it flat on the work top that it became apparent. My gear changes are now as smooth as David Niven's bedside manner :smile:. I am a happy cyclist. Thanks yall. Your very passionate about what you believe and I salute you. :okay:

Top Bottom