Another Hello From Bristol

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mgarl10024

Über Member
Hi all,

I was looking for a UK based cycling forum, and think that I may have found it!

About me: I live and work in North Bristol. I used to cycle as a kid, and often did the Bristol/Bath cycle track with my parents.
I then stopped (largely when I passed my driving test) and a few years back bought a cheap bike with good intentions. I think I got to Bath once on it and felt so knackered it hardly moved again.

Then, in work, a lot of the team cycle daily and they were daring me to give it a try. I also dislocated my knee-cap last year, and the physio said that cycling would be a great form of recovery. So, I gave cycling another try and tried cycling to work (6-7 miles) for the first time last March and haven't looked back. I now have a nicer bike, and have been cycling to work 2-4 days a week ever since. I'm definitely getting fitter from it, but no sign of weight loss yet.

My GF then became jealous of me disappearing on my bike and wanted to give it a try (having loved her bike as a young kid). We got her a nice bike and she's really taken to it - it's a great way for us to keep fit and to spend time together.
One thing that people may be able to help with - we've done the Bristol/Bath path a good few times now so are looking for some other routes. We would want something safe and not near busy roads (as we're still pretty new) so would welcome suggestions near North Bristol, or suggestions of sites where I could find this info out. Sustrans and BetterByBike seem pretty good. Reading around, will have to look up the CTC. Any others appreciated.

Well, that's me. Who knows, some of you might be overtaking me each morning. :-)

MG

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Hi & :welcome:

OP
OP
mgarl10024

mgarl10024

Über Member
Numbnuts, DarthPaul, Bauldbairn and threebikesmcginty,

Thanks for such a warm welcome. I posted a quick question here: https://www.cyclechat.net/ and also got a great response with some excellent information.
So looks like I've found the right place for sure!

Thanks,

MG

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Another north Bristol Hello! I was going to suggest the Better By Bike website to you but see you have found it already. Have you seen the 8 suggested routes around Bristol or is it 10> It's in a small booklet that you can pick up with the same information on - and there is another under development that will have longer rides out into the countryside.

What about going to Portishead? depending on where you are in N.Bristol you could either go into town and along the far side of the river, or if you are really in the N part of Bristol just drop down onto the Portway and over the M5 bridge - not the quietest of routes but I like the big up and down and the feeling I'm almost on the motorway.

Or for a longer out of Bristol route head over to Chepstow - I haven't actually done that one myself... its on my list for this summer

Top Bottom