Another Help Me Obi-Wan Kenobi Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cthulhupunk

Regular
Hello all.

I'm looking to move from my Trek 7.5 FX to a simple single speed/fixie.
I really don't need 27 gears to hack around town!

I'm sure I'll be told to build my own fixie (frame off ebay etc) but I spent a lot of time last year rebuilding the Trek (it was donated to me) so this time would like to experience the simplicity of buying new and enjoying that New Bike Smell :biggrin:

So my question(s) to you all is this - what manufacturers to look at/avoid?
Any standout bikes which come recommended?
I've spent the past couple of weeks trawling the interwebs and on here and now my brain is a jumble of Charge Plugs, Quellas, State, Mango, Pure, Foffa...

Any guidance would be much appreciated :smile:

Oh, my top end budget would be £400.

Thank you! :smile:

andyfraser

Über Member
I have a Mango and love it. It's basic and cheap but works well. I had the fiddle with the brakes to get them working a little better but other than that all was good out of the box. I replaced the standard Kenda tyres with Gatorskins (which I think Mango now offer as an extra) and flipped the wheel from single speed to fixed. It's now my go to around town bike.

I see quite a few Mangos round these parts now, which may have something to do with Mango being 10 miles up the road.

Charge plugs are good bikes ime, I currently ride a Fuji which is good and gets me around town. Both within your budget.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
There used to be a brand called Create iirc around that was trying to sell heavy fixies by pretending they were potential customers interested in buying them and posting on Forum saying "what do you think of these? aren't they wonderfull" and then posting links to their own site :stop:. I would avoid those and go down the self build route or get something like a Charge, Fuji or Spesh Langster.

D

Deleted member 1258

Above your budget I know but I have a Genesis Flyer thats very good.

I was looking at Charge and Quella (as well as some offerings from BLB etc) bikes before I went for my Genesis Flyer.

Having had the chance to give many of them a good test ride I must say that the Genesis was certainly worth the extra cash as far as ride comfort and handling went though. Yes, I know it is over your budget, but well looked after and nice looking Flyers go for about your budget on the second hand market.

If you can consider a used bike it might be worth while.

From your budget list though I found the Quella a nicer ride.

HTH,

J

If you want to love the bike that is one thing, if it is just a utility / commuter / practical solution that is another. With the latter [oh and weight is not an issue either] just about anything will do the job, if the former and your budget is limited I would suggest building it yourself. I bought one off eBay for around your budget then spent a further £100 or so making it mine. It is now worth 4 times what I paid, rides like a dream, looks amazing and is Reynolds 853, I love it. The clincher [see what I did there] is that it gets more attention than any amount of carbon bling which are common as muck.

OP
OP
Cthulhupunk

Cthulhupunk

Regular
Hmmmmm... Thank you all.
The Fuji's do like nice...

Stinboy

Über Member
I have a 2014 charge plug 1 - I'm sure if you have a good search you'll be able to find one new. Cost me 280 notes on wiggle and it's the best bike I've ever had. Simple, robust, fast and responsive albeit a bit heavy but not so much that i really notice. Love it.

As another poster has mentioned the Genesis Flyer is a great bike too. I don't know much about Fuji, but if you're on a budget steer clear of 2016 bikes :smile:

Yazzoo

I have a Quella Cambridge - very pretty, gets lots of attention, stands out. Great for jumping on and riding around town, not particularly light - depends what you want it for - no fittings for mudguards or bottle cage etc - although mine has race blades fitted. I don't use it for rides longer than about 5miles on my own around town, pub, shops etc but I have ridden it for much longer 20-30mile rides with my son (~8mph), even did a little off roading to take a shortcut last sunday - not the most comfortable for that, but then thats not what it's designed for!

I love it for what I use it for, and the customer care I received from Quella was fab

Top Bottom