Another hill question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
C

cyclebum

Actually Bonj it was not a twee moment but a genuine mistake. Spelling was never quite my strong point. Now whose getting a bit too serious about things, it's only a spelling after all. I am more interested in what I am doing rather than how to spell it.

OP
OP
C

cyclebum

John, Sorry I missed your post earlier about x-biking. It's all down to a get fit as quick as possible thing. When I signed up to do this charity ride in India, I did so not as a fit and experienced cyclist, but quite the opposite. It has been a big challenge for me and I am determined to get as much out of this as I can and that means really improving on both my fitness and cycling. X-biking for 1/2 hour a couple of times a week has helped tremendously and there are quite a few serious male cyclists in some of the classes too. My first ride was 5miles that took me over an hour,now I am doing 30 miles in less than 2 1/2. I still have a long way to go and its going to get harder over the winter months.
I do get out on my bike regularly as much as I can (I try at least twice a week)and get a lot out of it, I will certainly be keeping it up when I get back from India next Feb. I joined this site as I thought I would get help with improving my cycling. Most of you guys have had years to build up your experience and I wish I had started years ago, however I didn't so I am just trying to learn as quickly as I can and take on board all the advice I can.

cyclebum, I'm a fairly recent returnee to cycling and struggling to get any level of fitness that lasts to the next week. I was intrigued by your post and just had to follow it up through google. Thank goodness we can all learn something new most days. Good luck in your training and, eventually, your ride in India.

alfablue

My advice on hills, as per above - low gear early on (don't labour in too high a gear and then keep changing down, try and guess the right gear at the start), high cadence. Stay seated. In addition, I think the right mental approach helps - 1) be patient, doesn't matter how long it takes (as a newbie) the main thing is to get to the top without getting totally knackered; 2) stay relaxed, don't strain and fight with the pedals, be smooth and steady, keep arms and shoulders relaxed; 3) watch the road a couple of meters infront rather than keep looking up to the top.

OP
OP
C

cyclebum

Thanks alfablue.
After the rain cleared this morning I decided to have a new challenge. I had been told about this particular hill that has quite a steady climb before you actualy get to it. (I did drive it yesturday so I knew what to expect). Up to a point I was able to follow some of the advice given here until I was just less than 1/2 way up the big one when I found myself in my lowest gear. I don't how I eventually got to the top but I do not think it can have been a pretty sight. I was 'totally knackered' at the top but to my amazement when I did a pulse check and it was only 130( the gym moniters normally read about 150-60 after a decent sprint!) Also I only stopped for a couple of minutes before setting off again and still had more longer but more steady climbes to go. I was going to push on further but feeling it would be better to head home and ended up doing just over 11 miles (in an hour.) I am not too disappointed at the lack of distance as I pushed myself hard up those climbes and did feel a bit light headed and even a bit queasy by the time I got home. Does this mean I pushed it too much?? (these climbes are on the edge of the Staffordshire moorlands/peak district and less than 4 miles coming back was downhill)

alicat

Legendary Member
Well done, Cyclebum, it sounds as if you tackled the hill well. I don't think you pushed it too much if your heart rate was 130 at the top of the hill.

Have you thought of going out on some rides with your local CTC group and then you will get lots of friendly advice and tips appropriate to your experience and level of fitness? The rumours that beards and sandals are compulsory are not completely true.

OP
OP
C

cyclebum

Hi alicat. I did find out about my local club and sent a few e-mails but got no response. I could not find a phone number either. I said I wanted help preparing for my challenge but despite the fact they advertise all ages and abilities catered for, they must have thought me too much of a challenge!!

alicat

Legendary Member
It's a pity you didn't get a response. Here's a link to the relevant part of the CTC site. It does have some phone numbers.

Good luck with your challenge.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Cyclebum, I've been enjoying your posts and now I've read this thread understand what it is all about. One tip for you, I don't know about x / biking but presume it's the same or similar to spinning - stationary gym bikes with lots of music and an attractive young woman shouting instructions!!

Any way my point is this. if you can manage a couple of classes a week you will be amazed at your fitness by February. I spin 3 times a week during the winter when i don't ride as much as I'd like. Keep up the spinning or x-biking and it will help you significantly in your preparations for the ride in India.

OP
OP
C

cyclebum

thanks PaulSB, yes it is like spinning but our instructors claim its harder (something to do x-bike being on a chain and you can add higher resistance :biggrin:) I do at least x3-4 a week depending on the weather, but I still feel I need to keep clocking up the miles which over the coming months are going to get more difficult. For this reason I am avidly watching the threads connected with this subject.

Arch

Married to Night Train
hi cyclebum,

You will get better. I'm not great at hills, but I've gradually got better, and each time I go somewhere hilly, I find it takes a couple of climbs to get my strength nd technique back. It doesn't matter how long you took to climb, or what you looked like, the the key thing is you did it and recovered quickly.

Practice plenty, and you'll find that you'll get further and further before you run out of gears, and that once in bottom gear, you spin up more quickly...

Don't mind bonj. He likes to think he knows everything about everybody, which is why he concocted the theory that you were being cutesy, rather than just assuming you were making a genuine mistake and correcting you tactfully.

BTW, your hovering sounds like jumping position on a horse...

OP
OP
C

cyclebum

Hi Arch, thanks for this, as for Bomj"s comment on my spelling, that comment came at a low point for me (Im fundraising for my ride in India and with things not going too well at the time I was particuarly low) I do normally have a sense of humour and would have just reponded with:tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue:.

Anyway I was soon back on form. As far as the hovering question is concerned, yes it is a bit like a horse riding position but on the x-bike I have now come to the conclusion that it is just to work on a different set of muscles. Afterall it is a fitness method and although many cyclist use this, I'm sure there are many there that have never even sat on the real thing. The session consists of different speeds and levels of resistance. You alternate between the 3 positions and also tilt to the right or left with the corrosponding leg doing all the work. At some point you also do a range of press ups usually whilst standing. They claim you can burn 5-600 cals in a 1/2 hr sessions though I have seen women in full make up come out looking exactly the same at the end without a drop of sweat on their made up little brows but I'm sure they must feel some benefit. xx(

Top Bottom