Another joyous hydraulic brake thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
And thoroughly clean the disc. I'd say new pads. Take a look at Uber Brakes. I have a pair of race matrix as spares when the SRAM one wear out.
I use the sintered version of THESE from Discobrakes but recently put some of the semi-metallic pads (resin) in my sons cable operated Tektro brakes and this transformed them from junk to impressive!
The pads I linked to fit my MTB m785 calipers and the road r785 version on my Grade. They are considerably cheaper than the finned Shimano ones. You can have 4 pairs of the resin pads delivered for only £15.50

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Not working till you've used em a bit sounds awfully like they need bleeding. At any rate I'd try that first.

Cleaning pads and discs as others have said, will not hurt.

Kajjal

Guru
I had this recently and it was a slight contamination. Cleaned out callipers, pads and rotor with disc brake cleaner and no problems since. If you clean it with kitchen roll keep going until you stop seeing black residue. Then get up to speed a few times and stop to get the brakes working a few times. Worse case is replace pads and rotor after making sure calliper is very clean.

It does not sound like a big bleeding problem as the brakes work normally after being used a few times.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Can you explain why?

If there is air in a hydraulic system, you compress it a bit first pump, then after a few pumps, the hubbles are very small and brakes is back to fully working. Don't use for a few miles and the bubbles expand again as the pistons "relax" so to speak. i have no experience of push bike brakes but that's what happens with car brakes or clutchea

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I had this recently and it was a slight contamination. Cleaned out callipers, pads and rotor with disc brake cleaner and no problems since. If you clean it with kitchen roll keep going until you stop seeing black residue. Then get up to speed a few times and stop to get the brakes working a few times. Worse case is replace pads and rotor after making sure calliper is very clean.

It does not sound like a big bleeding problem as the brakes work normally after being used a few times.

To quote your last bit, that sounds exactly like a bleeding problem. That said bleeding is hardly a big problem

If there is air in a hydraulic system, you compress it a bit first pump, then after a few pumps, the hubbles are very small and brakes is back to fully working. Don't use for a few miles and the bubbles expand again as the pistons "relax" so to speak. i have no experience of push bike brakes but that's what happens with car brakes or clutchea

We already established that it is not a bleeding problem:

The lever is as normal at its usual bite point, no change in its feel but there is no bite to the pads. First pull is yank on the lever, lots of pressure and very little happens, second pull gains a bit of bite with less pressure and third/fourth pull is back to normal with one finger over the bar type braking.

Feels like when you have to bed a new set of pads in but every ride.

Well it sounds quite like a bleeding problem, in that brakes improve on use, albeit the lever not feeling soft making me wonder a bit. I'd eliminate that as a possible by bleeding the brakes.
I won't. Brake bleeding is often suggested as if it is a panacea for all brake problems. It isn't. It only solves one problem and that is air in the system. This is diagnosed in a very specific way that's been described here very often. It is no use sending people on a wild goose chase with well-meaning but useless suggestions if bleeding has already been eliminated as a cure. Bleeding is not trivial to most and putting them onto that path without reason is not nice.
The OP eliminated air problems right in the first post with a very clear description of the situation.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I won't. Brake bleeding is often suggested as if it is a panacea for all brake problems. It isn't. It only solves one problem and that is air in the system. This is diagnosed in a very specific way that's been described here very often. It is no use sending people on a wild goose chase with well-meaning but useless suggestions if bleeding has already been eliminated as a cure. Bleeding is not trivial to most and putting them onto that path without reason is not nice.
The OP eliminated air problems right in the first post with a very clear description of the situation.

I've learnt from experience that it is often wrong to eleminate a possible problem because one of the symptoms (spongy pedal) seems missing. "Works better after a few uses" is one classic symptom of air in the system. Admittedly it lacks the other symptom - but then how apongy is spongy?

How has bleeding been eliminated? Simply you crossly stating it is not sufficient hard evidence.

I've learnt from experience that it is often wrong to eleminate a possible problem because one of the symptoms (spongy pedal) seems missing. "Works better after a few uses" is one classic symptom of air in the system. Admittedly it lacks the other symptom - but then how apongy is spongy?

How has bleeding been eliminated? Simply you crossly stating it is not sufficient hard evidence.

If the first three posts don't convince you, I can't help you.

Top Bottom