...another knee issue..burning pain....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dzzi

...im 47 before i discovered the joys of cycling again (around 3-4 years back) i played basket ball 3-4 times a week between the ages of 16 & 30, i've also played football mostly 5-a-side at least once a week since i was 19 and was playing regularly to around Apr last year when i sort of retired due to lack of time while training for my first full 100 mile event...

So in brief ive had the odd knee injury/issue over the year but nothing major but i suspect there is some wear and tear on the knee joint by now...

For the last 3 weeks (since i played football late Dec) i've had this burning pain on the outside of my left knee just below the kneecap it only happens when i kneel down (mainly DIY stuff) or more annoyingly when i turn over in bed....it feels like a graze ? and this is now waking me up so it's serious !

It doesn't hurt when cycle....

I've had a quick look around and i think maybe this is prepatellar bursitis (house maids knee)

Anyone had anything similar and managed to figure out what it is or has any suggestions that might help ?

I really don't think my GP will be that interested !

Thanks

Dave

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If cycling does not irritate it, carry on.

You may be right, try ibuprofen or indeed the gel locally and see if it goes down.

The best advice is to see your GP for real medical advice. If it's keeping you awake, then it's serious enough to see the GP

I'll be watching for responses on this. Whilst cycling there is no problem at all but if I kneel down on my right knee it feels like a knife has been pushed in from just below the knee on the side and it has only recently started playing up.
I started cycling in sept 2012

OP
OP
D

Dzzi

it's more that i think it wakes me up when i turn over...than it keeping me awake, but i take your point fossyant
Brian do a google search on prepatellar bursitis......mines less pain than your knife description best i can say is its like the feeling i get when i've grazzed a knee on astroturf..but their are no marks, bruises etc...and i really can't kneel on carpet but if i but something a little more padded down then i can take it long enough to get most kneeling required jobs done....

Peter T

If you have not had a bike fit and in particular your shoe cleats I would be looking at that, but it may be something else as would have expected you to have soreness when pedalling if it was that. I have had similar sounding pain and it was my cleat fit that was wrong.

OP
OP
D

Dzzi

Thanks Peter, i've not had a bike fit and i think i may have "too much" play (side to side if that makes sense) in my cleats although that does let me vary my foot position which i like to do as it feels like a way to keep a little more circulation in my feet...maybe thats flawed thinking...

Doyleyburger

Veteran
I'll be watching for responses on this. Whilst cycling there is no problem at all but if I kneel down on my right knee it feels like a knife has been pushed in from just below the knee on the side and it has only recently started playing up.
I started cycling in sept 2012
I have exactly the same (previous thread iv done)
Like a sharp stabbing pain to the outside of my right knee and down a bit if that makes any sense. I can feel it when cycling and it usually starts to hurt after about 8-10 miles or so. I can tolerate it whilst cycling to a degree but it's when I get off the bike I really notice it. The knee actually collapsed on me the last couple of times whilst trying to climb my stairs. In bed it's painful and usually worse when the leg is bent.
Doctors booked for next week to have it looked at. Doc happens to be a cyclist so that should be handy. I think my cleats are well set up and I keep playing around with saddle height to try and resolve it. I will also keep an eye on this thread

Doyleyburger

Veteran
I should add that I have mtb spd's which I probably have too much movement on. I will definitely change to proper road shoes and pedals in the near future and get the red cleats which are more fixed. I have been told before that if I value my knees then the red cleats are the ones to have.
See what doc says first tho

GrasB

Veteran
I should add that I have mtb spd's which I probably have too much movement on. I will definitely change to proper road shoes and pedals in the near future and get the red cleats which are more fixed. I have been told before that if I value my knees then the red cleats are the ones to have.
The reason you want to tighten down your foot motion is to enable easer releases without causing accidental release & to aid power transfer to the pedal (excessive foot rotation robs power by introducing another flexing motion). The latter is achieved not by mechanically reducing motion with float reduction but to reposition the rider so that their normal pedal motion is encompassed in a smaller float range. If one is restricting motion of the foot to prevent straining of soft tissue (stabbing pains etc.) then there is something fundamentally wrong with your bike fit & artificially restricting float is only going to hide problems which will often become apparent in a much more sever way latter.

Doyleyburger

Veteran
:wacko:
Trying to make sense of all that.

I take it you're saying that a more fixed cleat will not resolve the issue and there is probably something wrong with my fit ?
Could well be

Rustybucket

Veteran
see a sports physio - Its worth the money - Then you will 100% know whats wrong and how to fix it.

I hurt my knee badly last summer and its slowly on the mend now - I probably see the physio ever other week

OP
OP
D

Dzzi

i also have mtb spd's...
@doleyburger be interested to hear what the Doc says obv doesn't mean we have the same issue etc...
GrasB ... thanks for the post i think i understand what you are saying, i've been using the same cleats and set up for a good while maybe it's time for bike fit....
@Rustybucket im not sure i could afford to see the physio every other week, however i don't think my issue is anywhere near as bad as yours no specific trauma to my knee..... im glad your's is on the mend now :-)

vickster

Legendary Member
Ice it?

I have lateral burning but then i have a meniscus tear and a defect on my cartilage.

If it doesn't get better with rest, ice and anti inflammatory drugs, certainly see a doctor. Unfortunately at 47, it could be some arthritis as you say. A very common cause of nighttime pain

Top Bottom