...another knee issue..burning pain....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter T

If your cleats are set in the shoe at the wrong angle and in the wrong position that can result in bad knee joint pain for sure. It is what happened to me. Everyone's natural foot position is different and if its set up wrong you can have a joint that is under stress every pedal revolution. I worked out that my typical 45 mile ride would be 180 mins x 90 cadeance = 16200 revolutions, easy to see how that can cause problems with poor setup. I couldnt do the stairs very well the day after a ride and bike fit cured it. I went to Manchester velo and saw a top guy and it was worth every penny.

I have a similar problem and went to a sport physio to have my knee checked out and was basically told that everything appeared fine and that the problem was a muscle imbalance , this would be about right as I did an Audax SR plus other rides and also ended up doing London-Edinburgh-London as a single speed due to my rear shifter breaking so a lot of km,s but very little non cycling exercise .
I have now embarked on a series of leg exercises plus stretches with some improvement and hopefully this will sort it .
I would definitely recommend a trip to the physio if only to see if there's anything serious going on and then look at bike fit if problems persists .

Paul

Peter T

Dzzi how are you getting on? There is a useful article on BC on cleat fitting at the moment. In addition to the advice given I would add that sitting on a table to observe the natural angle of the foot is a good way to get the cleat angle correct. When I had my fit it was the cleat angle that was the cause of the pain in my knee as my feet point outward and it was not reflected in my setup.

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/in...ws+30th+January&dm_i=BM6,25B9Z,7FM1NQ,7R915,1

Peter T

Doyleyburger, yes its the same and the identical symptoms to my problem. Stairs were a killer but very little pain walking normally. In my case the cleat setup being too inward would have exacerbated the rubbing and caused the injury. I see the article has some useful exercises. Correct fitting and two weeks rest fixed it for me.

Peter T

Dusty Bin I totally agree but the guys who do not have a straight foot angle like me are probably more susceptible. I have never used anything but a 6 degree float SPD-SL or SPD.

OP
OP
D

Dzzi

thanks, both links very useful, i've only done 30 mins on the turbo since saturdays 30 miler, i think i need to check my cleat positioning and am considering a bike fit but not sure i can fully justify the cost to the FPO (Fun Prevention Officer aka the wife) !
Does sound IT band ish and on the leg thats effected on longer rides 50+ i think i can sometimes almost feel the IT band giving me some pain, not the whole thigh but a 1 inch ish band running down the outside of the thigh to my knee..

As with all these things i suspect its a combination of issues, poor fit/cleat position, maybe some pronation, not really ever streching (yeah yeah i know i know), still tying to play football with people less than half my age...

Thanks for all the replies....who was the guy going ot the Docs ? have you been yet ?

Peter T

This is the guy I went to see, my doctor didnt really have a clue not understanding cycling enough, suprisingly enough neither did my local physio. This guy was brilliant solving a number of niggles I had on the bike and improving my overall power and comfort cycling. I have a couple of prolapsed discs so fitting me was not straightfoward. Since watching him fit the cleats and getting measurements I have rented bikes overseas and been able to get everything in the right position myself and have not had any problems.

http://pedalprecision.com/about_us/

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Just dangled ......
(make of that what you will)

Anyway, my left foot is practically dead straight whilst my right angles out a fair bit.
Have adjusted my cleats so ill see what that's like :/

Peter T

I was just going to ask if it was your right knee, then checked back on previous posts. If it was the left I would have been accused of talking bolloocks for sure :smile: Hope it gets better now.

Top Bottom