Another legs question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Phil B

Ok I just started cycling 3 yrs ago and I'm now 55 .

Any way the scenario is I can happily do 30 miles but anything above 30ish (most I've done is 43) I suffer from empty leg feeling/muscle contractions, not cramping more tightening of them /empty feeling.

Yesterday ,for example I had porridge and then toast+peanut butter for breakfast and then halfway on the ride 20 miles had a lunch but as I say struggled the last 5 miles. I had a full bottle of hi5zero and half a homemade flapjack during the ride.

Any idea of what I'm doing wrong or can do better, its not that I want to increase the miles move than 40-45 but do want to feel as if I can enjoy it!

Could it be that I'm trying to ride in too high a gear (run a compact 50/34).and am in the process of buying a new Hybrid and thinking of going to down to something like a 48/36/26.

vickster

Legendary Member
Do you do anything else in terms of leg work to strengthen etc? What terrain do you ride? Do you rest during the ride at all, I.e. The essential cake stop ;)

OP
OP
P

Phil B

Hi its normally cycle paths etc that I ride nothing too hilly...as say normally stop for a bite to eat bacon sarnie/fishnchips etc

JasonHolder

on youtube. learning to be a gent
30miles on a bike path would kill me with concerntraiting all that time about dogs and walkers etc.
I'd get out on the road. Maybe its just a personality thing for me.

HeroesFitness

I would suggest doing some sprint work and hill climbs and interval training once a week to increase your anaerobic threshold as this will help you for your longer more steady cycling

gbb

Legendary Member
Hi its normally cycle paths etc that I ride nothing too hilly...as say normally stop for a bite to eat bacon sarnie/fishnchips etc
If Its not too hilly, swap your 34 for something bigger. Living in Peterborough, we dont have proper hills, so I swapped mine for a 40 and spent most of my time on it, you can spin forever, lovely.
36, 38, 39, 40, any one will only cost £15 to £20, fit it in 15minutes, piece of cake.

ayceejay

Guru
I suggest you just do the miles you are comfortable with and enjoy it. If you gradually increase your mileage your body will adapt but if you push too hard or jump suddenly to a higher mileage it won't.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I suggest you just do the miles you are comfortable with and enjoy it. If you gradually increase your mileage your body will adapt but if you push too hard or jump suddenly to a higher mileage it won't.

Enjoy it! That's the key. ^_^

And if you aren't enjoying it ... you're less likely to do it.

Sharky

Guru
Agree with the earlier comments. 30 miles is a good distance to ride and no need to increase much more unless you have a specific target for a longer ride later on. Better to introduce some shorter rides in between(mid week), which will become easier and easier the more you do.

Just enjoy and keep it going through the summer and next winter!

Keith

Kies

@Phil B - you are doing the right thing regarding eating - so it is either your technique or the type of surface you ride on.
Maybe try an easier gear and spinning the legs a little more, or try riding on smoother surfaces (such as road). maybe mix it up a bit and see if you can do more than 30 miles with ease (if that is your aim)

U

User6179

Stopping for to long can make your legs feel tired ,small breaks under 10 minutes I find are better than one big break .

Shaun

Founder
Before we head straight in with getting Phil into sprint work, hill climbs, and interval training - perhaps we should start with the basics? Explain grinding / spinning and what the other terms mean (and find out if Phil already knows all this), and also find out a bit more about how often Phil rides and the length of the rides, and then make some reasonable suggestions based on the additional info.

As I've explained before to other CC training "enthusiasts" - it helps if you take a bit of time to question the OP to find out what level they are currently at, what they understand (in terms of their bike set-up and training), what they are trying to achieve (a few more miles / knock a minute off the next club TT) and then tailor your advice to suit. ;)

Thanks,
Shaun

tyred

Legendary Member
I would say to look at your pedalling technique, aim to pedal smoothly in a complete circle and don't push big gears as it's better to spin a lower one than to mash a high gear. It can seem counter-intuitive but you will often end up going faster in a slightly lower gear.

Also look at your saddle position. Prop yourself against a wall and sit on the bike and place your heel on the pedal at the bottom of the pedal stroke and your leg should be almost straight. With the pedal at 3 o' clock, the bony thing underneath your kneecap should be roughly directly above the pedal axle. It might help to have a helper handy if you want to do these checks, they are a rough guide but should get you close enough for most purposes.

Above all else, get out on your bike as often as you can, never overdo it too much, don't worry too much about speed or distance, fitness will increase in time.

Top Bottom