Another legs question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
P

Phil B

Hi thanks ..interesting about drop into a lower gear , might see how that works especially as have just got a new triple compared the to compact im currently using

JasonHolder

on youtube. learning to be a gent
Remember it takes time for new technic to become economical and faster normally :smile: not just a few tries in workouts

Shaun

Founder
Hi thanks ..interesting about drop into a lower gear , might see how that works especially as have just got a new triple compared the to compact im currently using

The first few times I tried spinning (pedalling at a higher cadence / frequency) in a much lower gear than previously - it felt, well, just plain wrong! To keep up the same average speed (and I'm not fast on a bike by any stretch of the imagination) I felt like my legs were going like the clappers. They weren't, of course, but that's just how it felt - quite alien to my previous grinding / trudging along.

I was knackered by the time I got back and felt much more out of breath than before, but once I recovered I realised my legs didn't feel like they'd been worked half as much and there was some "go" left in them. The more I did it, the more I got used to it, and the more I liked it - to the point where I naturally "spin" now.

It may or may not suit you - we all have our own personal style - but if it helps, then so much the better. :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

albionbri

How long does it take you to do 30 miles? Couple of hours or so? It's just that you seem to get through a lot of food on your rides. Not being critical, but sometimes digesting and exercising at the same time can have a negative effect.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
The first few times I tried spinning (pedalling at a higher cadence / frequency) in a much lower gear than previously - it felt, well, just plain wrong! To keep up the same average speed (and I'm not fast on a bike by any stretch of the imagination) I felt like my legs were going like the clappers. They weren't, of course, but that's just how it felt - quite alien to my previous grinding / trudging along.

I was knackered by the time I got back and felt much more out of breath than before, but once I recovered I realised my legs didn't feel like they'd been worked half as much and there was some "go" left in them. The more I did it, the more I got used to it, and the more I liked it - to the point where I naturally "spin" now.

It may or may not suit you - we all have our own personal style - but if it helps, then so much the better. :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:
I felt the same when I tried to get used to using lower gears, because I used to use too high a gear, and still tend to do it sometimes. I think the key is to make the change gradually: reduce your gear ratio by the smallest increment possible, get used to it, reduce another increment, and repeat...

Top Bottom