Another meter question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
My M.I.L. is buying a flat from a bloke who pre paid his gas and electric, there's a little thing about the size of a mobile phone in the kitchen with a display that says there's currently £1.60 credit left.

Today she's arranged a direct debit through Utility Warehouse so I went round to look at the meters, neither have a reading on the display, and I'm assuming they are smart meters.

Now with an old meter you'd just give them a reading and it was taken from there as far as the bill's concerned, am I right in thinking that in this case the meter will just be remotely reset and there's nothing for her, or more likely me, to do?

IMG_20231211_185931.jpg

classic33

Leg End Member
Is set as a pre pay meter?

Manufacturer says it
"Meets requirements of SMETS1"

Alex321

Veteran
They will probably want a reading.

With that meter, press the '9' button. First it will show VOLUME, then it will show the reading (generally you ignore anything after the decimal point).

Is set as a pre pay meter?

Manufacturer says it
"Meets requirements of SMETS1"
Press keypad 9 to get a scrolling display of 'stuff' I think first item is what we'd call the meter reading, then displays scrolls with other info, eventually another scrolls by with a reading of 2 items - xxx/yyy and one of those is also the meter reading (this from memory of an old Smets1 meter)

OP
OP
stephec

stephec

Legendary Member
You’d a thought there would be some instructions on it.

There's a perfectly good manual, unfortunately it doesn't tell you how an energy supplier will handle the changeover from prepayment to monthly direct debit, and whilst I wait for a reply from the energy company I thought I'd see if anyone here had been in a similar position.

icowden

Veteran
There's a perfectly good manual, unfortunately it doesn't tell you how an energy supplier will handle the changeover from prepayment to monthly direct debit, and whilst I wait for a reply from the energy company I thought I'd see if anyone here had been in a similar position.

And also, if it isn't SMETS2 , it's essentially a dumb smart meter. SMETS1 only tended to work for the company that installed the meter.
You can check here to see if it has been "re-smarted":-
https://smartmetercheck.citizensadvice.org.uk/

tom73

Guru
1000's of SMETS1 meter are not working anyway even for companies who fitted them ,I'm one of them. Until they are given a software update by the makers. They've stop sending any information to the supplies. Supplies don't even have a date for when it will be fixed so just fob you off if you complain about it.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Mine has never sent readings to the supplier. They removed a perfectly good meter which had a clear display and replaced it with a so-called smart meter that is much harder to read - smaller digits and in an awkward place to look at. :angry:

icowden

Veteran
Mine has never sent readings to the supplier. They removed a perfectly good meter which had a clear display and replaced it with a so-called smart meter that is much harder to read - smaller digits and in an awkward place to look at. :angry:

You aren't supposed to read the meter with a smart meter. That's the whole point of it!

Top Bottom