another mobile phone thread _EDIT advice regards cases at the end of the thread please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I have been offered a nokia lumia 520 by my MIL free as my moto e 1st gen is getting a bit low on free space , i usually have about 200 mb of internal memory free of the available 2gig , currently only running repeat notifications and whatsapp ( only because my cycle club uses it to plan non listed rides in the week ) .

I would have to get the nokia unlocked and its windows 8 which is not a big issue for me although i would miss repeat notifications as my son and wife have health issues i liked it as i work in a noise controlled environment you cant really hear it .
The Nokia has double the memory but half the ram ? i dont really use many apps at once and dont play games so i do not know the upshot of this .

sorry about the text formatting i have no idea why it changed half way through :smile:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I had one, a Nokia 930 i think. They were great phones and I liked the Windows OS but your biggest problem is how long will it be supported for. I've read it may end in December 2019 but I don't know that for a fact. You can just soldier on until I guess and its a free phone so you can't complain.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Half the RAM won't be a problem as Windows OS use the memory in a more efficient way. For notifications you could buy a cheap smart watch that would vibrate and display the message for you. Finding one that supports Windows on the phone could be tricky though, I know the Xiaomi Mi Band works. IIRC Repeat Notifications won't work on Windows Phone because third party apps have no access to the SMS stack.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I had the Lumina 930 till a few months ago. I still get messages on new phone (Nokia 8 Sirocco which is Android) telling me certain apps will no longer be supported. The latest one was from Nat West. It came 7th Sept and said it would stop working on Windows phone in 60 days.
It was my second Windows phone and apart from the lack of apps (Strava not supported) I found it a good system.

U

User6179

done that as much as possible and disabled a lot of stuff i dont use

On the apps you don't use, they will still be using internal memory, I have an old phone which only comes with 200mb internal memory and apps I cant delete so I have to go into manage apps and delete cache data to free up space.

Strava which is on my SD card stores data on internal memory and has to have data deleted every 6 months or so as it eventually wont work as there is no internal memory left, If you have been running Strava on that phone for a few years you could free up loads of internal memory.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I had a Lumia 3-4 years ago. Fantastic phone, only downside is a slight lack of apps on the store but that may have chnaged. Camera was very good, updated all my stuff seamlessly to MS OneDrive. IIRC it was easy to delete all media which has been backed up, to free up phone space. I think it also had removable microSD storage.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
On the apps you don't use, they will still be using internal memory, I have an old phone which only comes with 200mb internal memory and apps I cant delete so I have to go into manage apps and delete cache data to free up space.

Strava which is on my SD card stores data on internal memory and has to have data deleted every 6 months or so as it eventually wont work as there is no internal memory left, If you have been running Strava on that phone for a few years you could free up loads of internal memory.
disabled them in options , forced stop and cleared data and cache.

TBH the windows phone doesnt sound like an option going forward as i cant update it and with support stopping soon i may as well just hang on 12months and look at something like a moto c which i can get atm for£70 sim free

pjd57

Veteran
I changed from Moto to Nokia.
Only app I use much is Strava , and since the change I seem to have been cycling in straight lines rather a lot.

The GPS doesn't seem to be great.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Be aware a pot of the apps are not or will not be available or supported on the Lumia , me and my partner both stopped using ours about 18 months ago because of this

si_c

Guru
A windows based phone is likely to be a poor decision, most apps aren't available and those that are often have missing features. Add to that a total lack of updates, and it's a bad choice.

If you have an SD card slot on your phone (which you probably will), put a card in and it will use that as well. You can move existing apps onto the SD card to free up internal memory.

Top Bottom