Another mouth to feed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yes, as said above, spray/neuter, kitten vaccination then again once a year for life.
Monthly flea and worming treatments, for life.
Cat food, it's not cheap!
I supplement my cat's diet with cooked chicken.
I buy a whole chicken, cook it, then portion it and freeze, works out much cheaper than giving him just cat food
BigCat enjoys it :smile:

I'm always on the hunt for bits for the girls when I go yellow stickering. They like their raw (meat or fish, it all goes down without touching the sides) and it works out cheaper than the little tins of poncy food which they aren't so keen on.

Tonight, half a pork chop is in the cats.

I paid 99p for two whacking great big chops off the meat counter (combined weight around 600g). Poppy and Lexi will have the other half of one chop tomorrow, and the remaining one has been frozen for future use. Having said that, it's just as likely to end up in me. :laugh:

As for cat food - Wilkinsons often does good offers, as do Zooplus. I buy wet and dry food in bulk. I also buy cat litter in bulk.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I buy wet and dry food in bulk. I also buy cat litter in bulk.
I don't need cat litter, he's got a cat flap an a garden.
Cannot buy in bulk, because the wee horror gets bored of the same type of food.
He wants some Felix, some Whiskas, some Sheba, some fresh chicken (doesn't eat anything raw!), some fresh fish, some tuna, some chopped pork ... in rotation.
When he gets bored of something, he won't eat wet food, just dry Whiskas.
The Vet says only dry is not good for their kidneys, so I have to rotate the wet food.
See @cyberknight, tell your FIL what he could be up against :laugh:

I've got a large garden. But both will come in to poop. :wacko: If caught short they will piddle outside, but the tray is the preferred location given the chance.

Cannot buy in bulk, because the wee horror gets bored of the same type of food. He wants some Felix, some Whiskas, some Sheba, some fresh chicken (doesn't eat anything raw!), some fresh fish, some tuna, some chopped pork ... in rotation.

Oh dear... :laugh: I'm lucky that the girls will eat Felix AGAIL mostly, but I do rotate with the Sheba and Hi-Life pouches and Gourmet tins, just so that they *don't* get bored. Plus they have their regular meals of raw. I have to be careful with dry food as some kinds make Poppy constipated and other kinds give Lexi the runs, so the dry of choice here is Royal Canin - usually the Sensible 33.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Yes, as said above, spray/neuter, kitten vaccination then again once a year for life.
Monthly flea and worming treatments, for life.
Cat food, it's not cheap!
I supplement my cat's diet with cooked chicken.
I buy a whole chicken, cook it, then portion it and freeze, works out much cheaper than giving him just cat food
BigCat enjoys it :smile:

Our former Vet reckoned the yearly 'booster' wasn't needed, once they're vaccinated that's it but when you think about it we don't go for boosters, I'm vaccinated against loads of stuff Polio, Rubella etc. and I don't need 'topping up' yearly.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Cannot buy in bulk, because the wee horror gets bored of the same type of food.
He wants some Felix, some Whiskas, some Sheba, some fresh chicken (doesn't eat anything raw!), some fresh fish, some tuna, some chopped pork ... in rotation.
When he gets bored of something, he won't eat wet food, just dry Whiskas.
The Vet says only dry is not good for their kidneys, so I have to rotate the wet food.
See @cyberknight, tell your FIL what he could be up against :laugh:
FIL doesnt want it , this is why its ended up with us although i don't think our cat is happy with the situation.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Our former Vet reckoned the yearly 'booster' wasn't needed, once they're vaccinated that's it but when you think about it we don't go for boosters, I'm vaccinated against loads of stuff Polio, Rubella etc. and I don't need 'topping up' yearly.
My late brother was a vet. He said the same thing. Said it was a ‘cash cow’ and that the UK was one of the few countries that routinely vaccinated annually.

I am not a vet, I am just mentioning something that he was insistent about.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I'm sure it have some cat recipes somewhere...

You'll need garlic:laugh:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
My late brother was a vet. He said the same thing. Said it was a ‘cash cow’ and that the UK was one of the few countries that routinely vaccinated annually.

I am not a vet, I am just mentioning something that he was insistent about.

Yep, however Catteries and Kennels perpetuate this practice by not accepting 'boarders' without up to date 'vaccination records', luckily if we go away Scott & Kayleigh (next door) will feed our 5 Cats but likewise I've been feeding/letting out/walking their 2 Dogs and 3 Cats this last week. :angel:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Yep, however Catteries and Kennels perpetuate this practice by not accepting 'boarders' without up to date 'vaccination records', luckily if we go away Scott & Kayleigh (next door) will feed our 5 Cats but likewise I've been feeding/letting out/walking their 2 Dogs and 3 Cats this last week. :angel:
So true. I take my dog on holiday with me. I just look for dog friendly holidays where I can take him. Cottages may not be so luxurious when they are dog friendly, but I can live with that :smile:. If I can take my best friend with me, I am not that fussed about the state of the sofa.

I have to, because I show. Plus I have the added joy (!) of living in the close proximity of two feral colonies, which makes it a wise thing to do.

Top Bottom