Another new bike thread!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveW

I don't post here often but dip in and out researching stuff now and then. I've had a Specialized Secteur Elite for nearly 3 years and do enough miles to justify a new bike. I do a few sportives a year and a long annual charity ride with work colleagues, typically 400 to 500 miles over 3 to 4 days. Anyway, enough preamble, got this a couple of days ago and it rides like a dream - silky smooth, snappy and light (7.5kgs with pedals).
Edit: should have said this is a custom build titanium, made by Justin Burls to my measurements. Ultegra 11 speed, Chris King headset, Easton carbon fork, American Classic Sprint 350 wheels, Deda 100 finishing kit and Selle Italia Flite 1990 saddle.

B4733CE5-0958-47E7-80D1-52702F52895C.jpg
F1A3797D-60C0-485D-AC40-4AC7C04C1814.jpg
47A51816-E975-4CD2-B8D8-0CF0F021A7A8.jpg
24004EFC-6C82-4D91-A587-501631790782.jpg

Last edited:

MikeW-71

Veteran
That's lovely :smile:

OP
OP
D

DaveW

Thanks for your comments. I took a year to decide what bike to get. I tested various carbon bikes and while there are plenty of beauties out there, the roads where I ride are rough/rural and carbon didn't seem to achieve the comfort I wanted. I read a lot about the ride quality of titanium and decided it was for me, while Justin Burls is often recommended as a builder. The chattery ride of my Specialized seems hellish now after experiencing the lovely silent smoothness of the Burls. He made the chainstays short for me to give it snap but being a master builder he's also achieved geometry that gives a nice solidity on descents - I hit 50 mph on my first ride on a big descent and it was pure joy.

OP
OP
D

DaveW

I got change from £3k, but not a lot.
Edit: I started out with £2.5k in mind but if you are doing it, might as well do it properly. I could have easily gone higher (campag nearly tempted me) but had to draw the line. I still think for a beautifully made custom titanium with good components its a great price.
My wife thinks I stuck to the budget.

Last edited:

coco69

Veteran
That is the bogs dollocks.....stunning mate

OP
OP
D

DaveW

Agreed. You can spend £2.5k on non-custom Ti bike with a mix of components, some of which will be own brand/compromised. In comparison the Burls has not one compromised component (down to the seat bracket and bottle cages!), is made to custom measurements and is not a lot more to spend.

bikeman66

There's something about a quality built Ti frame isn't there, and yours is a beauty! Enjoy! Had a Kona Hei Hei a few years back, which was as much a pleasure to look at as it was to ride. I was absolutely mortified when it got knocked over one day and ended up with a small dent in the right hand seat stay.

When you consider it's a custom Ti frame, with all that kit hanging on it, I reckon change out of 3k represents a deal! Slightly jealous!

Top Bottom