Another new chain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrynCP

Über Member
I replaced my 10 speed chain at 2500 miles with a new one, a KMC x10 93. My bike has now done 4600 in total, so another 2100 miles, and I checked the length today and was surpised that the 0.75% fits right in and the 1% not far off. At least I think that is what the attached is showing me (I put a piece of paper behind as the light was low and difficult to make out).

Is this correct, after so few miles? Has winter been a factor?

Attachments

• IMG_20150423_192559342.jpg
    IMG_20150423_192559342.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 38

Soltydog

Legendary Member
If I get 2k out of a chain I'm happy. I've had under 1k with some chains :blush: Probably depends on various factors, but winter doesn't help

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
2k seems about right - this time, you should probably change the rear cassette too. Winter does create extra wear on a chain as can poor riding style such as pushing too high a gear, cross chaining, ill timed gear changes and neglecting to oil and clean the chain.

OP
OP
B

BrynCP

Über Member
Bought a new chain (the same one) but not a cassette.

To my untrained eye, the cassette looks fine. I guess if the chain slips then I will replace that as well.

I noticed something "odd" when looking down at my chain ring though the other day, the chain seems to move left and right a few mm as it goes around? Is this normal, I recently replaced the BB but everything is tight and there isn't the same amount of movement when looking purely at the axle/gap between crank and frame. Could this be a sign of the stretched chain.

Top Bottom