Another newbie :) (subway&triban hybrid/road bike)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
nirurin

nirurin

Regular
lmao probably because the amount of time and money it would cost would be ridiculous, would actually be cheaper to fly there, and I'm not sure I can bring a bike back as carry on luggage :P

The Jogger

Legendary Member
You're not the only one, isn't that right nirurin?

QUOTE="vickster, post: 3264476, member: 10217"]I'm confused, I thought you wanted to buy in store and not online, wanted proper mudguard and rack and wanted flat bars?!

Have you taken any bikes out on the road yet?[/QUOTE]

OP
OP
nirurin

nirurin

Regular
Not sure where you got the "store only" part from, a bunch of the bikes I listed were online... the title of the thread is about a decathalon bike which I'd have to have bought online? Currently halfords is a frontrunner because I can get around 20% off due to a work offer and my british cycling discount.

I'm used to flat bars, but I would get a drop bar bike if there was one with the setup I wanted. Unfortunatly thats pretty rare, until you hit CX bikes.

Dunno where you got the idea I wanted a pannier rack either lol, I dont, couple bikes came with them fitted but I didnt care either way. Mudguards I want, but I can fit those myself. The merlin has fitting for mudguards. Also may allow for 28c wheels and guards, but its currently being investigated.

I've been out on the road on a boardman hybrid race (not the sport, they only had the older race but its very similar) and I went out on a carrera tdf and an older raleigh (i forget the name, didnt like it). I mainly used the hoods, the drops felt wierd and uncomfortable to me, but I was told to expect that anyway as it will take a couple weeks to get used to them.

I have nothing against a good drop bar bike, as I can use the hoods to ride on when cruising and have the option of using the drops in future. In fairness the merlin is probably going to be a bit too much of a twitchy racer for what I'll use, but it also seemed like a bargain so I'm waiting to hear from people who have ridden one.

Sorry if its been confusing, as far as I'm concerned the things ive wanted have been fairly consistent. Problem is that bikes in my price range dont have the setups I'd ideally want, so I have had to keep going on one side or the other of the hybrid line, depending on prices and specs.

I've been given an offer on a CX bike though, and I've been tempted just to go for it and be damned. Overkill but it will do everything I would want it to do.

(I think a "Tourer" is the right term for the style im after? Decent tyres, can fit guards, stable and comfortable. Not sure if thats the right term. Audax bikes also seem to have the right king of setups. So do most hybrids, theyre just heavier and have mountain bike tyres a lot of the time.)

with regards to winstanleys, ive used them often, and never had any problem , allways helpful etc ,but they have not been not online purchases as they are only 1.5 miles from home.

Top Bottom