Another newbie :) (subway&triban hybrid/road bike)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
nirurin

nirurin

Regular
Thanks I just read that, the velocity does seem like a good bike for the money, but the boardmans (with discount) is only £60 more and seems to have a few upgrades, and is also much more local. I'm gonna go try them both this afternoon.

Could anyone tell the difference between those two boardman? The sizing are the same so if one fits me they both will, but I can't figure out which has the better spec.

vickster

Legendary Member
Sport

BOARDMAN HYBRID SPORT BIKE 2014
Boardman's entry performance Hybrid bike, the Boardman Hybrid Sport, is ideal for those that want the speed of a Road bike with a more relaxed, useable riding position - perfect for navigating those busy city streets. Featuring a lightweight 7005 triple butted alloy frame, Shimano Altus 18 speed gearing and powerful Avid Single Digit 3 V-Brakes, the versatile Hybrid Sport is light, fast and stable making it perfect for that morning commute or that gruelling exercise regime.

• 7005 Triple Butted Alloy Frame with Boardman's Signature Smooth Welds
  • 7005 Alloy Bladed Fork with Chromoly Steerer
  • Avid Single Digit 3 V-Brakes for powerful and reliable braking
  • 18 Speed Shimano Altus gearing offers a wide range of gear options and reliable shifting
  • FSA Tempo Compact 50/34t Chainset with square taper bottom bracket
  • Shimano Altus Trigger Gear Shifters
  • Shimano Altus 9 speed Rear Derailleur
  • Boardman E4P 32 hole rims on QR hubs
  • Vittoria Randonneur 700c x 32c tyres roll exceptionally quickly on tarmac surfaces whilst still providing plenty of grip on rougher terrain
  • Boardman's signature E4P finishing kit comprising Handlebars, Stem, Seat Post and Saddle
Race

SPECIFICATION OF THE BOARDMAN PERFORMANCE HYBRID RACE BIKE 2012/2013 - MEDIUM 19"
  • Frame: Lightweight 7005 triple butted alloy frame
  • Fork: Alloy Bladed - Chromoly 1.1/8" Steerer
  • Brakes: Avid Single Digit 3 V-Brakes
  • Number Of Gears: 18
  • Chainset: FSA Tempo Compact - 50/34t
  • Rear Derailleur: Shimano Acera 9 Speed
  • Gear Shifters: Shimano Acera 3x9
  • Tyres: Vittoria Randonneur 700c x 32c
  • Wheelset: 32 Hole Double Walled Rims on Formula QR Hubs
  • Finishing Kit: Boardman Handlebars, Stem, Seatpost and Saddle
The sport's a kilo lighter, that would swing it for me regardless of teeny spec differences :smile: can't really see any discernible difference but don't know what cassette each bike has (i.e. gearing) Not sure why the Race spec says 3x9 shifters when it's a double 9 speed cassette with 18 gears (bloody halfords, maybe the Boardman site is better, no time to look)

vickster

Legendary Member
Good gearing, should get you up most hills, what I have on all 3 bikes

I'd get the lighter one, even though both are black :banghead:

OP
OP
nirurin

nirurin

Regular
Had a quick scout around one in Halfords while picking something up yesterday, looks like a nice bike for the money. Definitely a double chainset!

Haha, which one the old race or the new sport?

I think as they are largely the same bike I will go for the lighter one, even though it has lower spec components, as the components will wear out and can then be replaced, but the frame and things will always be the newer/lighter model.

Not taking into account the difference in component weights obviously, but I doubt they are a huge difference as they have the same gears etc.

vickster

Legendary Member

I think as they are largely the same bike I will go for the lighter one, even though it has lower spec components, as the components will wear out and can then be replaced, but the frame and things will always be the newer/lighter model.

Not taking into account the difference in component weights obviously, but I doubt they are a huge difference as they have the same gears etc.
I've never yet worn out a chain or a cassette in several thousand miles, let alone shifters, cranks, bottom bracket etc...they don't wear out quickly if you look after the bike!! You'll probably have upgraded the whole bike long before ;) Mine gets dirty and gets sold :biggrin:

Do you always analyse everything to the nth degree? :whistle:

Mike!

Guru

The new sport, the only possible spanner in the works is the Halfords setup but the bike looks good to me, lighter is better too!

OP
OP
nirurin

nirurin

Regular
Do you always analyse everything to the nth degree? :whistle:

When it comes to spending a few hundred quid, yeh I usually do, as I want to get the best I can for my money cos if I get it wrong I wont have the option to buy another one.

Thanks for all the help, I've found a local store with both bikes in stock as well as a few of the others, so I'm going to go ride around on a few.

vickster

Legendary Member
Best is really subjective - a slightly less well specced may actually fit you better and make you smile more assuming the frame, colour, saddle aren't identical.

The 'best' bike might be black and/or have Specialized on the tubing, but personally I'd never buy it ;)

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Be aware, Boardman bikes seem to come up big and they calculate their sizing slightly differently to other manufacturers
I dont think its boardman, its halfords who only measure the real frame size to the sloping tube, the boardman website has geometry measurements for their bikes.

vickster

Legendary Member
But it's useful to know what in the geometry the 'frame size' corresponds and how that relates to other manufacturers

Top Bottom