Another newbie :) (subway&triban hybrid/road bike)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
nirurin

nirurin

Regular
Haha, double is way too much! Unless I find a second hand, but I'd never buy from eBay cos you can't be sure how old and worn the components are. Prefer new.

Think my upper limit is £400 and I'd only push that far for something worth it

vickster

Legendary Member
I bought my whyte off eBay, had been ridden about twice and was £400 from an RRP of £900. I was more than pleased

Nome of the bikes you have linked have carbon forks from what I can see

OP
OP
nirurin

nirurin

Regular
I bought my whyte off eBay, had been ridden about twice and was £400 from an RRP of £900. I was more than pleased

Nome of the bikes you have linked have carbon forks from what I can see

Yeh but there dont seem to be many bikes within a reasonable distance of me, and the few there are seem to be modified and well used. If one pops up as unused I may consider it though!

And no, mostly they seem to be steel or cromoloy, so I guess cromoloy is the best out of those.

OP
OP
nirurin

nirurin

Regular
http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/revolution-audax?bct=browse/bicycles

Any thoughts on this one? Seems to come with mudguards (though the blurb just says compatible so I'd have to check). Carbon forks and 25c tyres so not super big tyres but should dampen the vibrations a bit.

OP
OP
nirurin

nirurin

Regular
You need to decide on flatbar versus drops, go ride some options :smile:

Ok so, while the handles themselves dont make much difference to me, I found I preferred using the ... shoulders? is it? on the drop bar bikes. This is probably at least partly due to what I'm usd to on flat bar bikes, but also the dropped position was just too low / bent forward. I know this is great for wind resistance but I'm not going to be racing, I'm going to be on roads and I need to be able to easily see around me.

So a more upright position is what i like.

However this didnt really help a huge amount in the decision, because as far as I know I can ride like that on drop bar bikes anyway, or at least I can on drop bar bikes that have a more relaxed riding position?

vickster

Legendary Member
Why not get a flatbar bike, add bar ends for more hand positions etc

While there are more relaxed roadbikes, my Pearson is very upright, it is still unmistakeably a roadbike and not the same upright position as an upright flatbar bike. If that's what you want, get one of those

Top Bottom