Ridgeback Hybrid Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Taxboy

I'm trying to understand where each of the bikes fit into the range. I had a look at a velocity which the bike shop believed was a good mid range hybrid with well matched components - nothing particularly skimped on to say offer disc brakes. I also saw the flight range which I was told offered a sportier geometry & better components as more money was spent on each model in the range.

So far so good. Looking online I also came across a Vanteo which I couldn't see on the Ridgeback web site and a couple of other hybrids in the £400 - £500 range. I'm a little confused so if anyone can clarify that would be great.

TIA

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hybrids started off as a sportier on road version of a Mountain Bike, retaining the flat bars and relaxed geometry but with slick tyres for on road but still with the ability to go off road on trails etc. We were then offered better components with narrower faster tyres and more aggressive frame angles. You just have to choose what best suits your needs. The Ridgeback Flight is the latter, the Dual Track the former. Most other manufactuers offer similar models.

For what it's worth you can forget the front suspension, it only adds weight with little extra comfort. I have found that 28c tyres can handle most tracks and trails without too many problems.

Red17

Veteran
Not sure on the full model differences but the velocity is only £280 in Evans at the moment (I recently bought one) and less than half the price they are doing the Flight for

Had it a couple of months now and seems a decent bike for the money

Paulq

Bike Rider, Beer Drinker, Biscuit Eater.
The Flight is 'more of' a road bike with flat bars, though has 28mm tyres and disc brakes (on most if not all specs I think). The Velocity series are the typical hybrid range and are altogether great bikes but, naturally, the more you pay the better the spec you get. Choose one that you like and are comfortable on - if you pick the right one for you and look after it then you can expect many years of faithful service from it - they are great bikes.

Just be aware to check out the spec on the Flight from 2015 - I spoke to a Ridgeback dealer recently and he seemed to think that they are less road bike oriented from next year. I haven't checked - just something for you to be aware of.

Good luck and tell us what you decide.

OP
OP
T

Taxboy

Thanks for that. What I think I've discovered from my research is that a lot of manufacturers seem to use the same frame but slap increasingly more expensive bits on it. Am I roughly getting in the right direction over this ? For a newb that's actually quite helpful when dealing with smaller LBS as I can try say a bottom end & know that the fit on a higher spec will be the same even though its not in stock. Although from what you said over the 2015 MY may confuse things further for Ridgeback. I couldn't find the velocity on their UK webpage so still a little uncertain what family it fits in or perhaps its been renamed for 2015 ??

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I think the question you have to ask yourself is what bike suits me an d my needs best, rather than try to figure out manufactuers marketing ploys. Do you want the faster narrower tyres and more aggressive geometry? Do you need disk brakes? Do you really need top line components? Do you want the lightest weight? You are right in thinking that many use the same frames and put their own mix of components, so you just have to figure out which represent the best value and what suits you.

Top Bottom