Another noisy disk brake problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Well the OP says he hasn't used the bike for a month, before when the brakes were fine. As it happens my cycling buddy has just had exactly the same problem with his Shimano hydraulic disc brake, which turned out to have lost all its hydraulic fluid during a period of disuse, contaminating the pads and disc. Perhaps there's a problem with a failing seal.

Kajjal

Guru
As mentioned above make sure you clean out the calliper as well, lumps of oily residue can get in there and will quickly contaminate everything again, even after new pads and cleaning rotors with disc brake cleaner.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Well the OP says he hasn't used the bike for a month, before when the brakes were fine. As it happens my cycling buddy has just had exactly the same problem with his Shimano hydraulic disc brake, which turned out to have lost all its hydraulic fluid during a period of disuse, contaminating the pads and disc. Perhaps there's a problem with a failing seal.

Possibly :okay:

OP
OP
D

DWM

Just had a quick look at the brakes. There don't appear to be any obvious leaks. No sign of any corrosion either.

There is a slight mark on the back of each pad from the piston (hopefully shown on the attached), but I assume this is normal, and even if it's not, I can't see this causing a problem.

I've given everything a good clean and will try and test it later.

Attachments

• 20191027_085117.jpg
    20191027_085117.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 3
OP
OP
D

DWM

Rode in to work today, and the front brake is still noisy. I tried lots of sharp braking to try and get some heat into the system in the hope it might help, but it didn't. Fortunately the rear brake is silent.

I guess I will try some new pads next to see if that sorts out the problem. Any other suggestions?

Cheers

Dave

OP
OP
D

DWM

I may have spoken too soon!

Cycling down a hill on the way home I did some more heavy, prolonged braking. The noise was horrendous! However, after this the noise went and normal braking was restored. Bizarre.

Cheers

Dave

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
There is of course a simple cure...….

…..Fit Sturmey Archer hub brakes.:whistle:
Good in wet or dry and brake shoes last for around 50,000 miles.
Oh! did I mention that they're SILENT in all operating conditions.:laugh:

If you really MUST have disc brakes at least get some Good home grown ones from HOPE.
They're brilliant (for disc brakes),
And you'll be supporting a British company.:becool:

I may have spoken too soon!

Cycling down a hill on the way home I did some more heavy, prolonged braking. The noise was horrendous! However, after this the noise went and normal braking was restored. Bizarre.

Cheers

Dave
Sounds like small amount of contamination of the pads or rotor, eventually burned off.

Top Bottom