Another noob (to CX that is) question -Sammy Slick tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all,

A reg on CC however, I am getting a revolution cross race, but - shock horror :eek:- not for much CX, more for the winter commute and a bit of off-roading.
Yes, wind, rain, sleet, snow, frost, ice etc etc so I need tyres that'll be pretty much all-rounders but on a tight budget.

So, I thought I'd ask the experts here... are Schwalbe Sammy Slicks up to it?

Please be gentle with me

T

Helidoc

My New Focus Mares came with Schwalbe Racing Ralph's, which I expected I would drop until next summer, as the bike is for winter commuting. To my surprise, the bike is as fast and quiet as my road bike on 23 Gatorskin. A few punctures might make me change the tyres, but not speed, comfort or noise .

Dave

OP
OP
TonyEnjoyD

TonyEnjoyD

Guru
My New Focus Mares came with Schwalbe Racing Ralph's, which I expected I would drop until next summer, as the bike is for winter commuting. To my surprise, the bike is as fast and quiet as my road bike on 23 Gatorskin. A few punctures might make me change the tyres, but not speed, comfort or noise .

Dave
Cheers Dave, I'll check them out

Helidoc

I suspect your Sammy Slicks are just fine, but if you need puncture protection, or start getting visits from the puncture fairy, then a non-cyclocross tyre might be worth it. My dilemma is the same as yours, but for the time being, I am going to see how I get on with the CX tyres.

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
I ran Sammy slicks through a winter a couple of years back, found them perfect on packed snow and even ice if I rode carefully but puncture protection is not great, you could always add some Fenwick's no tubes sealer into the tubes, I've been using this now for two years, don't want to tempt fate but let's just say, so far so good!!

Moss

Schwalbe Durano are good for winter riding and (P.......) protection they also last quite well, but they're not cheap; and you'll need decent tyre levers to fit or remove them. I bought a set of Durano's for £45.00 - 700 x 25

Top Bottom