Another one bites the dust

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Gonna buy a cheap Range Rover
So your heavier vehicle can destroy the roads more?
There’s some sort of 4x4 in the sales forum though

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
So your heavier vehicle can destroy the roads more?
There’s some sort of 4x4 in the sales forum though

Yea but it's ok for the local council to take my taxes and not maintain public road? which destroys my car and bikes....I haven't cycled since a piece of road at a T junction had a huge split in the road, I put a wheel in it and wrecked a wheel, that was as slow as you go I was pulling away. it was partly my fault as I didn't notice but on a wet dark morning it wasn't obvious, but it was enough for me to damage the wheel and lose a days pay for taking a tumble.

Holes have been reported, but I tried to claim before, it was made hell and at the time I couldn't cope with the additional stress.

I'm considering moving closer to my place of work, wife is a nurse and suffers from epilepsy so moving closer makes sense, but buying/selling it isn't a great time.

vickster

Legendary Member
You’ll presumably be paying more in VED for an old petrol/diesel 4x4 too. Good money after bad!
Why was it so difficult to report. I made an admittedly unsuccessful claim for a damaged spring. Just had to complete a form?

vickster

Legendary Member

Drago

Legendary Member
I’m done with the roads near me, I’m working to pay for car repairs these days.

I think I can get the wheels refurbished, and if I can they’re worth their weight in gold Ford said it’s a 3-4 wk wait for a new wheel as they can’t keep up, I had the last stocked wheel in the South East unless I go to a breakers yard.

Tyres I’m starting to think mid range are a waste of money, the roads destroy them regardless, but means a sacrifice in road holding and braking.
I hate to say it, but I'm quite glad I have a 2.25 tonne tank now. The Smart would crash and bang like an IED going off over the local roads and potholes, but the XC90 just shrugs them off. But that becomes a cycle of violence - roads get worse through neglect, cars get bigger to compensate, rate at which roads deteriorate increases, cars get even bigger...

But that is almost inconsequential. A laden LGV causes the wear of 10,000 cars (I forget the precise number, but it is in that order of magnitude). If people bought less consumer tat there would be less lorries.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
And another one bites the dust!
It wasn't me this time, my wife was using the car and heading to her shift at the hospital when it was dark, she missed the pot hole and split the wheel around the entire diameter I'm being told, the AA guy took a picture as he was impressed with the extent of the damage.

I will post a picture for everyone's amusement when I can.

I will take Vicksters advise and try and claim for this one, wifes phone is broken so she can't take pictures, but I went to see the hole and it's pretty large and dangerous, I called the council direct to complain, it needs to be fixed asap from a safety point of view, if a motorcyclist hit this it would be nasty.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
Yea that’s not a keeper.

Attachments

• B51A2EAC-F0FB-45A3-A505-1DE2E25EE4B2.jpeg
    B51A2EAC-F0FB-45A3-A505-1DE2E25EE4B2.jpeg
    150.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 56BC2BD5-68B8-49E6-A2CE-887FE1AD008A.jpeg
    56BC2BD5-68B8-49E6-A2CE-887FE1AD008A.jpeg
    141.3 KB · Views: 7
  • B168B7D2-03B7-4495-A491-EDACBC58429F.jpeg
    B168B7D2-03B7-4495-A491-EDACBC58429F.jpeg
    127 KB · Views: 5

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
What bloody alloy material are ford using - this is in a fessie - the No.1 most popular car?

I've got 17" on my 18 year old car on 50 profiles - never busted a tyre or alloy (just tyre age). My missus Qashqai is on 18" 55 profiles, but the suspension coils are 50% bigger than my saloon - my car is slightly heavier and longer.

Thats a bad break. TBH - I've been using a back road on the way home to avoid major traffic delays, and it's full of massive holes - I'm driving like I would ride my road bike... I've just got 4 new tyres on my car ! On my MTB I'd be taking on the 'holes'...

Top Bottom