Another one bites the dust

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnno260

Veteran
I’m done with the roads near me, I’m working to pay for car repairs these days.

I think I can get the wheels refurbished, and if I can they’re worth their weight in gold Ford said it’s a 3-4 wk wait for a new wheel as they can’t keep up, I had the last stocked wheel in the South East unless I go to a breakers yard.

Tyres I’m starting to think mid range are a waste of money, the roads destroy them regardless, but means a sacrifice in road holding and braking.

Attachments

• 1EF5C334-848A-4777-93CD-2AD177C97606.jpeg
    1EF5C334-848A-4777-93CD-2AD177C97606.jpeg
    177.3 KB · Views: 13
  • C61DBEB0-1606-4168-8B29-C0E01DAA21C4.jpeg
    C61DBEB0-1606-4168-8B29-C0E01DAA21C4.jpeg
    109.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 68290341-0E3D-4745-8092-5A91AB0D48AC.jpeg
    68290341-0E3D-4745-8092-5A91AB0D48AC.jpeg
    171.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
You just need a big hammer
1580203650996.png

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Tyres I’m starting to think mid range are a waste of money, the roads destroy them regardless,
Really?
If you are regularly damaging tyres maybe it isn't just the roads that are the problem?
Lots of factors at play.
Do you have 'sporty' low profile tyres? They don't look particularly low, but neither are they a full height tyre. Maybe a set of wheels with a taller sidewall tyre would be more suitable?
Slow down a bit and pay more attention to the road conditions. No use blindly crashing along at 50mph, a few feet from the vehicle in front and then being surprised when you damage your wheels/tyres on 'unexpected' road surface irregularities. Sure, the roads might not be in great shape but you can significantly reduce your risk of damage (in a similar way to avoiding punctures when cycling) by driving appropriatly for the conditions.
Avoid driving up onto pavements, and if you have to do this do it at a crawling pace, don't feel pressured to be in a hurry if there are impatient drivers behind you.
Modern, quality tyres are generally pretty good and quite tough, but they are not indestructible and the driver plays a massive part in tyre protection. Routine tyre damage is not the norm.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Nearly forgot, Not trying to blame you for poor roads, but when did you last have an eye test? This is something that can creep up on any of us so don't take it personally, but maybe you need corrected vision, especially at night. Far too many drivers out there with sub-standard eyesight!

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
They're not rubber band tyres, the wheels are 15" alloys my ex-step Dad works for Ford and he said these wheels are always causing issues, he said the multi spoke ones are far stronger.

I live in a very rural area, trust me I don't drive fast I can't the roads are A) Too bad, B) Too may corners, so driving at speed isn't an option, but you can't always avoid a hole, if a cars travelling the other way you can slow or stop but some holes are so deep even at low speed it's not safe.

Even roads I know well potholes seem to open up after every bout of heavy rain now.

Just look at the news reports about the hole on the A21 the roads are just awful, my Dads just returned from an 18month Euro road trip and he said the roads here are the worse he has ever seen, he has also been a professional driver his whole life.

I had, an eye test recently, but very good call on that.

They're not rubber band tyres, the wheels are 15" alloys my ex-step Dad works for Ford and he said these wheels are always causing issues, he said the multi spoke ones are far stronger.

I live in a very rural area, trust me I don't drive fast I can't the roads are A) Too bad, B) Too may corners, so driving at speed isn't an option, but you can't always avoid a hole, if a cars travelling the other way you can slow or stop but some holes are so deep even at low speed it's not safe.

Even roads I know well potholes seem to open up after every bout of heavy rain now.

Just look at the news reports about the hole on the A21 the roads are just awful, my Dads just returned from an 18month Euro road trip and he said the roads here are the worse he has ever seen, he has also been a professional driver his whole life.

I had, an eye test recently, but very good call on that.
Now you are just making things up. I can see they are 50 aspect ratio tyres, aka rubber bands.
I can see that it is fro a small car by the fact that the rims have only 4 bolt holes.
In other words, it is a souped-up boy racer with inappropriate wheels for the roads it drives on.

I don't see how the wheels cause the issue, no matter who works for Ford. Magnesium wheel with those tyres will survive a hit.
Get proper steel rims with right-profile tyres or carry on suffering.

I'm sorry if you don't like the advice you heard.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
Now you are just making things up. I can see they are 50 aspect ratio tyres, aka rubber bands.
I can see that it is fro a small car by the fact that the rims have only 4 bolt holes.
In other words, it is a souped-up boy racer with inappropriate wheels for the roads it drives on.

I don't see how the wheels cause the issue, no matter who works for Ford. Magnesium wheel with those tyres will survive a hit.
Get proper steel rims with right-profile tyres or carry on suffering.

I'm sorry if you don't like the advice you heard.

It's a standard Fiesta 1.2, not an ST or RS XR3i or whatever the latest model is, it's the 5 door version with standard Ford wheels I have owned it from new so it hasn't been "souped up"

If tyres with a bigger side wall will fit in the arch I have no issue having those fitted, I told the fitter I wanted mid range durable tyres.

The comment from my step Dad wasn't a made up comment, he has worked for Ford most of his working life and said this particular wheel suffers a lot.

But no the UK roads are fantastic with no issues at all...

Jody

Stubborn git
I will put some steels on when I can afford to, issue I have is being paid mid December and then getting paid last working day in Jan.

Steels aren't going to stop the sidewalls failing and will probably still bend.

D

Deleted member 26715

Sorry to piss on your parade but I'm siding with the issue being the driving style not the alloys fault, in 40 years I've only ever damaged an alloy, well two, it was in an MR2 Turbo, I was half-way off a roundabout & floored it, it was slightly damp & I was driving inappropriately for a mid-engined 260BHP car. It snapped out on me did a complete 360 but used the nearside footpath to do so. It took out both rear alloys & a driveshaft.

So the solution is to slow down & be more attentive in your driving, putting larger profile tyres on whether alloys or steel 'may' help but not hitting a pothole in the first pace is the logical answer.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
if I drive slower I may as well walk...
sure being attentive helps, I'm not saying I'm totally blameless, but the roads are in a sorry state, and everytime it rains more damage seems to crop up.

I'm not some idiot boy racer, where I live there are cyclists, and many horse riders.

But yea whatever everyone is painting me as some lunatic boy racer, whatever, sorry for farkin making a comment.

FYI: That tyre bulge is on a new tyre on an offside wheel that hasn't taken many if any pothole damage, but sure that's all me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom