Another 'LBS' bites the dust.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
The Norwich branch of Evan's Cycles is closing on 21st. May. Apparently the landlord has hiked up the rent and Evan's have told them to jog on.
Doesn't help the eight or so staff who wil be made redundant though. :sad:
This leaves Borwell's , AP Cycles, Mandarin Cycles, The Bike Man ( who I've not yet been to ), oh and er, Halford's. for the whole of Norwich.
Hmm. :whistle:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I would not call Evan's an LBS under an circumstance. Sad for the staff but Mike Ashley deserves no sympathy, he would have been paying below market rate for the rent anyway.

OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
Ahh, well it is getting on in the day - !
Never rated Evan's, although they did help me out getting a report done for the insurers when my bike was trashed in a crash. :okay:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
The Norwich branch of Evan's Cycles is closing on 21st. May. Apparently the landlord has hiked up the rent and Evan's have told them to jog on.
Doesn't help the eight or so staff who wil be made redundant though. :sad:
This leaves Borwell's , AP Cycles, Mandarin Cycles, The Bike Man ( who I've not yet been to ), oh and er, Halford's. for the whole of Norwich.
Hmm. :whistle:

Plus the Giant store and the Specialized store, both on Hall Rd. Oh, and Pedal Revolution.

Maybe the landlord will back down but that really depends on how easy it is to fill the property. If they can't fill in within 3 months they have to start paying business rates even without a tenant. So landlords can face a significant loss.

Venod

Eh up
Although Evans gets some bad press I have had
some bargains from them, the highlight being a Trek mtb which I still have.

vickster

Legendary Member

Pre or post Ashley?
I never bought a bike from then but certainly did kit but pre takeover. Not sure I’ve used them since.
A new branch opened in Sutton at the start of the pandemic but all my business goes to the LBS a few yards away. I don’t think their business has been dented much luckily

DRM

Guru
Maybe the landlord will back down but that really depends on how easy it is to fill the property. If they can't fill in within 3 months they have to start paying business rates even without a tenant. So landlords can face a significant loss.

I can never understand this out & out greed, hiking the rent to stupid amounts, only to be left with an empty property that’s generating no income and costing money , had this at a dry cleaners I used in Wakefield, the landlord hiked the rent and wanted a 10 year contract from the business, the dry cleaners wanted another 5 years and was going to retire, this gave the landlord plenty of time to get a new tenant in, the place sat empty for at least 3 years

I have to say the Evans I have gone into seem really good. I don't have a local store but there are a few in nearby towns and cities. I think there was one I visited in Trowbridge, also Cardiff, Bristol and maybe Bath and seem very positive stores. They have their Pinnacle range which looks great value and a good range of big brand bikes and they seemed friendly staff. Prices are a lot more reasonable than independent bike shops I've visited.

I can never understand this out & out greed, hiking the rent to stupid amounts, only to be left with an empty property that’s generating no income and costing money , had this at a dry cleaners I used in Wakefield, the landlord hiked the rent and wanted a 10 year contract from the business, the dry cleaners wanted another 5 years and was going to retire, this gave the landlord plenty of time to get a new tenant in, the place sat empty for at least 3 years

It seems like a game they play between tenant and landlord. The landlord knows the business will likely close if they don't pay the rent increase or have the huge expense of re-locating but the landlord is faced with an empty property with ongoing business rates. I guess the landlord thinks the tenant has more to lose. Where I live in Yeovil there are a huge number of empty shop properties and seems madness to hike rent prices when you will likely end up paying business rates with no rental income. I guess the landlord maybe can offset the cost of business rates against rising property prices. I have heard of some retailers getting some very canny deals on renting retail property because the landlords are desperate for income. So called re-negotiating rent has often meant a huge chunk of reduction in rent because retail space has over supply.

I'm not sure its always out and out greed, some landlords may have mortgages on property and with mortgages increasing they wish to pass on those costs instead of a reduced income.

Top Bottom