Another one hit the dustbin.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
[QUOTE 5210928, member: 259"]We're so middle class we turn old shirts into hankies. (Well my wife does it as I'm too thick to operate an overlocker).[/QUOTE]
We do that with my old yfronts. I live in fear of ever having to wipe my nose while on a bus. I eschew public transport, mostly; especially when I have a cold.

No need to bin it. I have a growing collection of DIY / gardening / bike repair clothes.

I have a pretty thorough shirt recycling hierarchy, new shirts for work, work shirts become casual pub shirts, pub shirts become lounging around the house shirts, lounging shirts become diy/bike repair/gardening shirts. But I don’t stop there. Bike repair shirts become bike cleaning rags before going in the bin.

A work shirt with a pen stain would bypass levels and drop straight to bike repair status.

This all works fine except for dress shirts, which remain dress shirts regardless of changes in fashion and only get downgraded due to accidents or stomach growth. Dress shirts rarely become work shirts unless it’s interview time again or the Christmas party.

I believe some of my bike rags go back decades.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Is it too late to try this?
51CmwEVDnEL._SL1000_.jpg

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I have a merino wool cycling jersey that's now tight on me. It was too big, so i put it on a 60C wash,hoping to shrink it a little. It shrunk more than a little. I still wear it,though i have to pull the shortened sleeves up.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I have a pretty thorough shirt recycling hierarchy, new shirts for work, work shirts become casual pub shirts, pub shirts become lounging around the house shirts, lounging shirts become diy/bike repair/gardening shirts. But I don’t stop there. Bike repair shirts become bike cleaning rags before going in the bin.

A work shirt with a pen stain would bypass levels and drop straight to bike repair status.

This all works fine except for dress shirts, which remain dress shirts regardless of changes in fashion and only get downgraded due to accidents or stomach growth. Dress shirts rarely become work shirts unless it’s interview time again or the Christmas party.

I believe some of my bike rags go back decades.
I have a similar system. I've just started wearing the shirt I got for Christmas 2016, as since I got another shirt for Christmas 2017 I no longer consider the 2016 one too nice and new to wear.

I do tend to wear my clothes until they are absolute rags though, and usually consider new ones an unnecessary extravagance. I have some socks that I don't particularly like which must date back to the turn of the century. I'm desperately trying to wear holes in them so I can bin them, but they refuse to die.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
[QUOTE 5211216, member: 259"]Me too. I've literally just worn out some shirts from Creme's on Balloon street in Manchester and I am now 56. But I've been too fat to wear them for most of that time.![/QUOTE]
Well, I suppose overinflation is appropriate for shirts from Balloon Street.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Photo taken of @gavroche reminding his wife to check breastbpocket of shirts for pens before doing washing

images.jpeg

Globalti

Legendary Member
What's this "washing" people keep discussing on here? I thought that nowadays people just bought a garment, wore it a couple of times then threw it in a charidee bag!

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
What's this "washing" people keep discussing on here? I thought that nowadays people just bought a garment, wore it a couple of times then threw it in a charidee bag!

I have long advocated to my wife that Marks & Spencer (and other retailers), have Charity Bags alongside the checkout, to save customers the trouble of taking their purchases home ;)

Top Bottom