Another pedestrian injured by cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smudge

Veteran
Reactions: mjr

classic33

Leg End Member
Maybe the press just dont know anything about his Ebike yet, so there isn't anything they can report about it yet. It seems strange to me that the police haven't said anything at all about this case since arresting this guy shortly after the incident.
The lady has since died.

classic33

Leg End Member
I've been aware of that since it was reported days ago.
The charge against the rider may change as a result, which might also explain why they've(police) have remained quiet. Other than trying to locate the rider and anyone who may have seen it happen.

Smudge

Veteran
The charge against the rider may change as a result, which might also explain why they've(police) have remained quiet. Other than trying to locate the rider and anyone who may have seen it happen.

Yes any charges could change and have more added..... especially if they find evidence that the Ebike is not road legal.

NickWi

Guru
E-bike rider charged with causing death by dangerous driving with the prosecution asserting that the bicycle exceeded permitted power limits.
https://road.cc/content/news/267863...ed-causing-death-pedestrian-dangerous-driving

I do remember this incident being reported. It happened August 18 and from what I recall the pedestrian dashed onto a crossing without looking properly, the ebike was going quite fast, the rider not pedalling and the rider did a runner after hitting her. I'm sure it must have been discussed on this forum at the time, but I can't find the tread if it was. If anyone can find it, can you resurrect it so we keep continuity.

Whether the rider is proved guilty or not , it does show to those that want more power/speed and are prepared to fit dongles, more powerful motors, throttles etc; if/when the sh*t hits the fan the Police will use their resources to pursue the case.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
E-bike rider charged with causing death by dangerous driving with the prosecution asserting that the bicycle exceeded permitted power limits.
https://road.cc/content/news/267863...ed-causing-death-pedestrian-dangerous-driving

I do remember this incident being reported. It happened August 18 and from what I recall the pedestrian dashed onto a crossing without looking properly, the ebike was going quite fast, the rider not pedalling and the rider did a runner after hitting her. I'm sure it must have been discussed on this forum at the time, but I can't find the tread if it was. If anyone can find it, can you resurrect it so we keep continuity.

Whether the rider is proved guilty or not , it does show to those that want more power/speed and are prepared to fit dongles, more powerful motors, throttles etc; if/when the sh*t hits the fan the Police will use their resources to pursue the case.
Be interesting to here from battery boy on this.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I remember the case too - and from the comments recall that the rider did not stand much of a chance in avoiding the pedestrian. Although they were going pretty fast, it was not a crazy speed, but probably inappropriate for an urban area. If they were not without a license, uninsured and untaxed and did not do a runner then I suspect it would be chalked up to just another accident, despite the skewed views of 'blame the cyclist' that prevails.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
It's an un-insured/taxed 'motorbike'.
Hopefully a landmark case and support for the argument against the removal/reduction of restrictions for e-bikes (which I happen to agree with).

There are already more than enough people driving around unlicensed and uninsured without providing legitimisation for more of the same on super strength e-bikes!

"Nathan Rasiah, prosecuting, told the court: “In this case the evidence suggests it was travelling in excess of the road limit and the limit for the bike."
Makes you wonder just how fast the rider was travelling, 20+mph, 30+mph? I know the speed limit doesn't apply to a pedal cycle, but the vehicle in this case appears to fall well outside the definition of 'pedal cycle'. The speed and danger of using a powered vehicle is the reason licencing exists, so drivers can hopefully show that they have some restraint and concept of the dangers before they are let loose.....

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I remember the case too - and from the comments recall that the rider did not stand much of a chance in avoiding the pedestrian. Although they were going pretty fast, it was not a crazy speed, but probably inappropriate for an urban area. If they were not without a license, uninsured and untaxed and did not do a runner then I suspect it would be chalked up to just another accident, despite the skewed views of 'blame the cyclist' that prevails.
That says it all.

gbb

Legendary Member
Without prejudging any circumstances in the case, locally, for a while at least I used to see a fella on an ebike doing easy 30 mph, maybe more, it genuinely surprised me how much ground he was covering....silently. Anyone crossing the road absent mindedly hasn't got a chance of being pre warned and is going to get a hell of a hit off something travelling that fast. Stupidity, if nothing else, the brakes couldn't possibly be that effective at that speed.

Top Bottom